1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 year degree course will save students £25,000

Discussion in 'Society, Culture and Politics' started by Welsh dragon, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Welsh dragon

Welsh dragon Well-Known Member Staff Member

Plans are being made to make some university courses last 2 years instead of 3 years. Students could save themselves upwards of £25,000.

I know someone who did business studies at Uni. They said that they could easily have done the course in 2 years.

Personally i think it is a good idea. But, will the degree that students who go down this road have the same meaning as those done over a 3 year period?

Will firms feel that these degrees are just as good and as valid as a degree that takes longer. Will some people think that reducing the time taken to obtain a degree automatically means that students could not have put in the required amount of time and work to learn enough to obtain a degree that actually means as much?

In my opinion, if the work can be done in 2 years without diminsihing the degree, then they should go for it.

Clearly there will be degrees where 3 years or more may be required, but i am all for it.
  2. Bromptonaut

Bromptonaut Rohan Man

AIUI the content is same but faster pace and possibly shorter vacations. My partner has a science degree and she spent far more time in lab/lectures then her friends doing Law or Arts and Social Sciences. Don't think it's changed much in the nigh on 40 years since. Our son and daughter both did dual honours with history and either philosophy or politics. Relatively few lectures or seminars compared with (say) daughter's friend who was doing some sort of food science.
  3. tyreon

tyreon Member

Degree courses...mmmm...of necessity ? Or are some being bigged-up for biz(think pay of packets over £450k,think of vice chancellors)

De-construct chemicals. Then analyse. Now put together and compute. Now add human physiology,neurology,psychology and wotnot.

Keep going.

On the same course add in human relationships,health and safety,lifting and handling,accountancy,management,statutory law and the like. I wont go on. 2 or 3 year course...and you have someone(in the not too distant future?)who is qualified to be...a barman(no offence meant)

Is there any case for too many qualifications.,too much education?

It can get like that. It really can.

OTOH Met people who cannot even make a a cup of tea tho they have NVQs(I guess in catering). Amazing!

Met some very educated people in the Phillipines. They were making bamboo mats!!! Chemical engineers! Unemployed! At the same time at Manila airport,hordes of people banging on the windows of the departure lounge...my guess is to get out! All qualified(?)no jobs(?)
  4. Roger_the_Lodger

Roger_the_Lodger Regular Member

My experience of the very educated Filipinos is they have no common sense & are unable to think laterally but that's a completely different topic, what I don't understand is why the current thinking is everybody should have a degree, there is a whole raft of people who a degree would not help, but a good apprenticeship would.
    Big Andy likes this.