About time for Canadian apology

Discussion in 'UK and World News' started by Welsh dragon, Nov 25, 2017.

1. Welsh dragon

Welsh dragon Senior Member Staff Member

The Canadian Premier Mr Trudeau has finally given an apology to all native Canadians who suffered a miserable existance in residential schools. This apology is long overdue, and hopefully those who suffered can find some peace and perhaps some closure. The fact that their suffering is being acknowledged so publicly is a start.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-42101457

2. Joey Shabadoo

Joey Shabadoo Regular Member

How unusual. I've never heard of Canadians apologising for anything.

Jezza likes this.
  3. Jezza

Jezza Regular Member

Very polite folk are most Canadians.
    Not the French ones obvs, but the rest are fine.
    This retrospective apologising - whilst in the right spirit , comes a bit late for most of those kids who were forced into 'Indian Schools'. They're long since dead.

4. jhawk

jhawk Member

Definitely about time.

I lived near a First Nations reservation for the first nine years of my life in Canada. The conditions they were living in were absolutely atrocious. Most of them feel left behind by the Government. Hell, over 100 such reservations throughout the country still have 'boil-water advisories', despite Trudeau's promise to end all of that. From chatting with my First Nations friends, it seems as though there's a mix of Government inefficiency and corruption on the reservations themselves -- that is, the Chief and Council improperly distributing the funds that they receive from the Government.

The apology comes too little, too late for most. And is palpably insufficient for most as well. But some take it as a good first step, after all the only thing they really received from the previous Government was empty gestures and platitudes.

classic33 likes this.
  5. Highlander

Highlander Regular Member

Great step in the right direction, but we're they not following UK commonwealth government instruction?
    Wonder if those English people abused by even Westminster MPs will get justice, Cameron, Hague and May have all interviened to ensure it's judge lead enquiry is a whitewash! Ooh, and how about all those others..... http://alicemooreuk.blogspot.co.uk/2014/12/melanie-shaw-sentenced-to-3-years.html
    Never mind Canada, let's look closer to home, and hold those guilty of abuse to judicial enquiry.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice