Albert dryden

Discussion in 'UK and World News' started by Welsh dragon, Sep 18, 2018.

1. Welsh dragon

Welsh dragon Senior Member Staff Member

Albert Dryden, a man who shot and killed a planning officer and wounded others live on TV in 1991 has died in a nursing home.

I can't believe that it happened so long ago. It only seems like a few years ago that it happened. A truly sad happening for everyone involved. I know the planning department was only doing it's job, but it does seem to be a bit of a jobs worth ruling.

Surely there can be some excepetions in cases like this whereby only the owner can live in the property, and when the owner passes away, then the property could be demolished and the area returned to it's previous state.

I know of one such home. A man working and living in woodlands created his own home from wood, and is allowed to live in it, however, if he leaves, or dies, then the house will be demolished and woodland will be allowed to reclaim the area. This was a 1 off exception that was made by an insightful planning department.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/cri...ing-row-dies-months-after-being-a3938351.html

2. classic33

classic33 Senior Member

Seems he was reminded a number of times about his ongoing work, and he just ignored them.

He also injured three others in the shooting.

3. OP
    OP
    Welsh dragon

I am not saying he was right, or that i was condoning what he did. However there are prescedents and they have been used in other cases. The waste of life was truly terrible and should never have happened.

4. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Well-Known Member Staff Member

A mate of mine was there on behalf of the Newcastle Evening Chronicle.

Tony Belmont, the BBC reporter who was shot in the elbow, had just asked my mate to hold his script while he straightened his tie.

The script was spattered with blood and was later an exhibit in the trial.

My mate dived behind the Chronicle's Renault Clio just as Dryden, now shooting randomly, shot out the car's side window.

Everyone legged it down to the bottom of the lane, except the Chronicle's photographer who was found later hiding in a nearby ditch.

He took it badly, was off work for ages, returned for a week or two, then never came back.

The planning officer's brother is quoted as saying his brother would still be alive today if Durham Police had done their job.

At least one of the reporters - who had covered the story for months and was outwardly friendly with Dryden - told the cops in advance of the planned demolition that Dryden was a loonie with lots of guns.

The coppers - who always know best - largely ignored that information.

Derwentside District Council raised the temperature by issuing a press call to the demolition, thereby turning it into something of a circus.

On one side of the fence were the two or three reporters who had followed the story and who Dryden deemed to be sympathetic to him.

On the other side was my mate, the telly, and all the others who turned up for the first time that morning.

Can't be many murders where there is sympathy for the murderer, but the local sub-text is there are a number of travelling families in that part of rural County Durham.

Except they don't 'travel', and the locals see them apparently being able to ignore planning and other laws by siting caravans and other semi-permanent structures.

Thus Dryden was seen by some as the stout-hearted yeoman who was being victimised by pettifogging bureaucrats.

Here's the BBC news footage.

You can see the 'friendly' journalists standing on Dryden's side of the fence, to his right.

Towards the end of the report, when Tony Belmont is saying what happened, in the background you can see the copper who was shot in the buttock being given first aid.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pk2wBDIKQvc

5. OP
    OP
    Welsh dragon

Bloody hell. Nothing is ever black and white is it.

6. Highlander

Highlander Active Member

I think, I would need access to everything before I could make a judgement as to the rights and wrongs of what happened.

<<MOD Note, Off topic stuff removed, please refrain from attempting to drag every thread off topic. >>

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2018
  7. Big Andy

Big Andy Senior Member Staff Member

I've removed all the off topic stuff.

There can never be any excuse for murdering a council official going about there business. We have planning regulations for a reason, if we let people get away with breaches of planning regulation there is no point having it, also the countryside would be ruined by people building anything they want no matter how much of an eyesore. I'm sure he knew he didn't have planning approval.

classic33 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice