Any signs of spring yet?

Discussion in 'Environment and Science' started by Welsh dragon, Feb 20, 2018.

1. Welsh dragon

Welsh dragon Senior Member Staff Member

It seems that we have had terrible weather in the UK quite such a long time. In Wales, rain has been the biggest factor. Months of rain has and is literally drowning everything including the grass. The grass is dying because of the huge amount of rain that we have had.

However, there are signs here that Spring is approaching. Frogs have appeared in my pond, and there are signs that my fish are begining to move around more in the pond. In the really cold weather, not one single fish can be seen. The pond looks all but sterile. Now though the fish are on the move.

I have also spotted some snowdrops here and there. Are there signs that spring will be with us soon in your part of the Country?

2. classic33

classic33 Well-Known Member

Don't put the thermals away yet! There's a Polar Vortex on the way.
    A freezing Arctic blast will send temperatures plummeting across the country this week with fears the mercury could drop to as low as -22C.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/weather/t...-22c-as-arctic-blast-set-to-hit-uk/ar-BBJjQH5

Welsh dragon likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Welsh dragon

I did hear on Countryfile that Spring is on the way, but there will be a last blast of wintery weather next week before it gets better.

classic33 likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Welsh dragon

We seem to have more and more birds feeding from the bird feeders. Lots of blue tits, ling tailed tits, and woodpeckers. Robins are also joining in as well as some sparrows. The occasional coal tits are here as well.

5. OP
    OP
    Welsh dragon

There are definite signs of spring here now. The snow from the weekend has all but melted, and this week looks like the weather during the day will be warming up. :bravo:

6. classic33

classic33 Well-Known Member

Snow forecast for the end of March.

Welsh dragon likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice