Automated checkouts

Discussion in 'Society, Culture and Politics' started by Welsh dragon, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Welsh dragon

Welsh dragon Senior Member Staff Member

Automated check outs could make the elderly feel even more lonely and isolated than they already do. A lot of elderly citizens use shopping as a means just to have someone to talk to and if more and more automated check outs come into existance, then there will be fewer chances for an older person to interact with anyone outside of their home.

I cannot see every till becoming automated (thank god), but maybe a bigger percentage of these types of checkout will become more prevalent.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-42052234

2. DarkMist

DarkMist Guest

Maybe they will.

3. mr_cellophane

mr_cellophane Regular Member

Self service petrol stations will never catch on either. Untrained people dispensing highly flammable liquid, ridiculous idea.

4. Big Andy

Big Andy Senior Member Staff Member

In my experience you meet more checkout staff at the self scan tills. They never knowingly let you complete a shop without assistance being required! :banghead:

5. OP
    OP
    Welsh dragon

:laugh:. I must admit i don't use them, but i have seen plenty of staff hovering over them just waiting for customers to ask a quesrtion. Even just looking around is enough to get some staff running over.

6. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Well-Known Member Staff Member

I've used them a few times when I'm only buying a few things in Morrison's.

Annoyingly, there's usually one 'item not recognised', or if I'm buying a bottle of beer I have to wait for a staff member to certify I am over 18.

But I'm sure the main point of the story is true.

Several times I've seen an older person prolonging the transaction with the checkout operator, apparently just for a bit of human interaction.

Being behind that older person is the queue causes a moral dilemma, I'm frustrated at being kept waiting, then I chide myself for being so selfish and unsympathetic.

7. OP
    OP
    Welsh dragon

It is a terrible shame, that nowadays we just don't seem to have the time or the inclination to talk to neighbours. So many older people never see another living soul from one end of the week to the next, i daresay interacting with shop staff is all some of them have. It will make me think a bit more the next time i go shopping and an older person is holding up the queue. Waiting a few more minutes certainly isn't going to do any harm.

8. classic33

classic33 Well-Known Member

They(sel service checkouts) can't authorise the sale of alcohol or any other restricted items though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice