Be careful what you post online

Discussion in 'UK and World News' started by Pale Rider, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Active Member Staff Member

It appears historical racist, fat-ist, and homophobic (of all things) tweets by the new editor of Gay Times have come back to bite him on the backside.

He's been suspended, but it looks like the permanent parting of the ways will follow.

Having said that, he's done as best as he can in damage limitation by apologising and saying he's learned from it and is now a better person.

What he did was foolhardy for anyone, but as a supposedly professional journalist he really ought to know better.

I'm also bound to observe this story has the elements of being a forum moderator's nightmare - if we had any moderators.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-42000700

2. Welsh dragon

Welsh dragon Senior Member Staff Member

Just goes to show, that in this day and age, even if you yourself conveniently forget things you have said, it is on the internet forever and can and will always come to light at some point, usually at a most embarassing moment.

3. Nazz

Nazz Member

Perhaps his employers should have done more due diligence before giving him the role, reflects pretty poorly on them too.

Welsh dragon likes this.
  4. More fool him for being easily identifiable online.

5. jhawk

jhawk Member

"Be careful what you write. It will outlive you."

classic33 likes this.
  6. Kestevan

Kestevan Member

The danger is though that people are never allowed to change. If they once posted something whilst young and stupid, they that remains a stick with which to beat them forever.

7. Joey Shabadoo

Joey Shabadoo Regular Member

So where does the "Right to be forgotten" legislation apply to boards such as these? This board has a policy of only removing material on request if it reveals personal identifying information. I presume that means if I were to reveal in a post that I lived at 43 Harriers Lane, Halifax that would count or if I were to say I was a member of the Southsea Bike Club. But what about if I said on Facebook under my real name that I also post as Joey Shabadoo on this board? Surely then every post becomes personally identifying?

8. OP
    OP
    Pale Rider

Pale Rider Active Member Staff Member

The right to be forgotten legislation is beyond me, but realistically the likes of twitter and facebook seem to do pretty much what they want to do.

A couple of times I've seen a crown court judge call for something to be removed from facebook.

Those in court feel like saying "Well judge, if you can persuade that nice Mr Zuckerburg to remove it, go ahead, because we can't."

9. Bromptonaut

Bromptonaut Rohan Man

A couple of other forums I inhabit are based around motoring. Chap in one of them seemed to have a bee in his bonnet about where a car he'd rejected with dealer in Yorkshire as supposedly dangerous had fetched up (ie offered for sale elsewhere in manufacturers franchise network). The more he posts the more he looks like an obsessive.

First thread he used his own name. Quick Google leads to a Linkedin profile for a property professional in Wakefield.........

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice