1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion in 'Society, Culture and Politics' started by PD, Nov 8, 2017.

1. PD

PD Retired

Discuss ...
  2. Jezza

Jezza Regular Member

Pale Rider, Welsh dragon and Cognitio like this.
  3. Welsh dragon

Welsh dragon Well-Known Member Staff Member

4. Baron Vlad Harkonenn

Baron Vlad Harkonenn Regular Member

I voted leave on that historic day and the EU's behaviour ever since vincated that decision.

They didn't listen before, have not listened since and won't listen in the future, their answer to the issue of future dissenting member states is even more EU, soon to be backed up by an EU army. Member state doesn't comply, the people of that country are protesting, they'll likely send the boys round to remove any dissenting thoughts with CS gas, battons and water cannon.

As for the trade talks and the divorce bill, whatever figure has been plucked out of thin air this week, it won't just be that, as with any divorce there are continuing maintenance payments. We should walk away, unreasonable behaviour is unreasonable behaviour.

Question is; for any who voted remain, has your position changed in view of the EU's behaviour? The view of the unfair, undemocratic, bullying, thuggish and unfathomable EU. The EU who are soon to have the ability to send their army in to crush uprisings. The EU where some animals are more equal than others. The EU where it is just bad luck if you are an unemployed youth who happens to live in one of the Southern countries. And most importantly , the EU which is unsustainable financially.

Of course some people are mad enough to want to watch the world burn, are quite happy with all of the EU's eccentricities and still wish we were part of the circus and will never change their minds.

But have any remainers changed their mind?

Actually and for balance, have any leavers changed their minds also.
    ozboz likes this.
  5. Welsh dragon

I voted to leave as well, and i feel that my decision was the right one. The other EU states weew, and continue to be very arrogant, petty and vindictive and the sooner everything is finalised the better. It can't come quick enough.
    ozboz and Baron Vlad Harkonenn like this.
  6. Baron Vlad Harkonenn

And I thought I was the only one on CC who voted leave :okay:
  7. Welsh dragon

Nope. Clearly there were 2 of us. Fancy that.
    Baron Vlad Harkonenn likes this.
  8. Jezza

Jezza Regular Member

I voted Leave and Leave won.
    Which was nice.
    According to today's paper 72% of electors are now pro-Leave.
    ozboz and Baron Vlad Harkonenn like this.
  9. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Active Member Staff Member

I also voted leave.

What surprised me is we were given the chance to vote at all.

It seemed obvious to me the country would vote to kick the EU into the long grass, and equally obvious our political class wouldn't want to give anyone the chance to halt the longest gravy train of them all.

But they did give us the chance, and we took it.
    ozboz likes this.
  10. Baron Vlad Harkonenn

Blimey, four leavers, online, in the same place at the same time !

Any remainers on here, don't be shy to speak up.
    Welsh dragon likes this.
  11. Joey Shabadoo

Joey Shabadoo Regular Member

I voted Remain. I'd long supported a referendum as I felt this was an issue that was poisoning our relationship with the world and the constant uncertainty was affecting business. The idea of imposing more barriers to trade rather than less is idiotic, imbecilic, moronic, batty, insane... need I go on? A lot is spouted about EU dictating laws but what is forgotten is the EU was seen by a lot of countries - including us - as a way of uploading unpopular laws in Brussels to shift the blame. Many EU Directives originated in Whitehall.

If a way can be found that is politically possible to minimise the effects of Brexit, I'd support it.

However I do believe the press coverage of the negotiations has been childish and shallow, constantly emphasising the negatives of the UK negotiating team without giving equal emphasis to what have been some churlish statements by EU officials such as Junckers. The negotiations basically boil down to defining the price of a trade deal. For the EU to try and dictate that price before revealing what the deal looks like is stupid. The public tit-for-tat between the two sides is toe-curlingly embarassing.
    ozboz, Baron Vlad Harkonenn and Nazz like this.
  12. kirkdale

kirkdale Regular Member

I voted remain. Mainly due to the fact that I think free movement between member states and free trade was desirable.
    I had real concerns about the EU, but felt the benefits outweighed the negatives at that moment in time.
    The reaction of many remainers has been a revelation. Many relatively privallleged people, so out of touch with those living on the knife edge of poverty, unwilling to begin to try and understand the result. Totally unwilling to discuss the issue without spewing childish insults and bile.
    ozboz, Nazz and Baron Vlad Harkonenn like this.
  13. Spinney

Spinney Regular Member

Remain, for many of the reasons given above.
    But my other concern was allowing the Tories to dismantle workers rights protections, environmental laws, etc, without the EU to act as a brake. (Had it been a labour government at the time, just substitute labour in there, although I don't think I'd have been as worried.)

The current bill going through parliament shows me that these fears were justified, the Tories wanted to be able to amend imported EU legislation without parliamentary oversight.
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
    kirkdale likes this.
  14. alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye New Member

Welsh dragon likes this.
  15. Welsh dragon