1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can a brooch be racist?

Discussion in 'UK and World News' started by Pale Rider, Dec 23, 2017.

1. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Active Member Staff Member

Princess Michael of Kent is in hot water after wearing a brooch some describe as 'racist'.

Seems a step too far to me, the brooch depicts a black man in grand dress.

So what?

Too many people bellow 'racist' or some other 'ist' or 'ism' when it's nothing of the sort.

What are we saying here?

That black people cannot be portrayed in an exoticized fashion on jewellery?

That would be racist.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42462724

Big Andy likes this.
  2. Welsh dragon

Welsh dragon Senior Member Staff Member

What does the brooch signify? Does anyone know? Does it represent oppression? Or slavery? I have no idea. What i see is an individual who clearly has money and can dress accordingly.

Are brooch's depicting people from other races also racist now? Perhaps wearing the brooch could be seen as insensitive, but racist?

Pale Rider likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Pale Rider

I agree, not the sharpest move by the princess from a PR point of view.

Plenty of people are envious of what they see as her luxury lifestyle funded by the taxpayer.

Also being tall and blonde and she is one of the more Hanoverian, dare I say aryan looking of our royals.

Welsh dragon likes this.
  4. Big Andy

Big Andy Well-Known Member Staff Member

I saw this story earlier. I had to check it wasnt April 1st.

5. Jezza

Jezza Regular Member

Saw a pic of that blackamoor brooch in today's paper.
    A tad insensitive to wear it in polite company - perhaps?
    They banned Robinsons Gollies after all.

6. Bromptonaut

Bromptonaut Rohan Man

7. OP
    OP
    Pale Rider

Elle magazine seems especially keen to make the most of this storm in a tea cup.

Elsewhere, they are promotig a 'powerful essay' from Ms Markle about being mixed race.

Which leasds me to think Elle is after something, possibly a royal wedding preparation/dress exclusive.

classic33 likes this.
  8. Bromptonaut

Bromptonaut Rohan Man

Whatever Elle might be angling for are you saying that it, and other sources including the Telegraph, are wrong to assert existence of a reasonably widely held view that Blackamoor images are racist?

9. Welsh dragon

Welsh dragon Senior Member Staff Member

I had never heard of blackamoor images before the newspaper report.

10. OP
    OP
    Pale Rider

It's convenient for those wishing to make more of this than there is to bring in other Blackamoor images - not usually jewellery - which portray black people in a subservient roles.

As an example, some images show black people holding up a tray.

That is clearly 'of its time', when most white people's experience of blacks would be as servants or slaves.

The brooch portrays the black person as 'exoticised' - a term jewellery historians apparently use in this context.

Portraying a person in fine clothes and an elaborate headdress suggests that person is of high standing.

That cannot be described as 'racist', whether the person is white, black, yellow or any other skin tone.

Would the same fuss be made if the brooch portrayed an Indian prince?

Some discrepancy exists as to the meaning of 'blackamoor'.

In some dictionaries it is merely an archaic term to describe a black person.

In other dictionaries it has a pejorative meaning.

I expect the latter meaning is gaining ground given the internet age and the increasingly large number of people desperate to be offended by something.

11. IIP

IIP Guest

FFS its racist, trying to justify it based on your own right wing views, is pitiful and down right embarrassing, the woman is a fool and the brooch will never be worn again, in my opinion she was making a statement that black people have no place in the royal family and should remember their place.
    it seems posters here agree.

12. Big Andy

Alternatively she has selected a piece of jewellery that she owns and likes and decided to wear it for no other reason than she likes it.

If the brooch is racist should it then be destroyed?

13. IIP

IIP Guest

give over, they, she knew exactly what it mean't, but hey ho if you find it alright to be wear racist jewellery in 2017 and are happy to make excuses for such blatant racist gestures, then maybe you really need to take a good long hard look at yourself.

14. Bromptonaut

Bromptonaut Rohan Man

If, as she says, she's worn it on multiple occasions before then it beggars belief that nobody said 'are you sure about that Ma'am/Marie Christine'. In which case it looks more like a deliberate comment on Megan M. The Princess has previous for this sort of thing.

IIP likes this.
  15. Big Andy

Of course she may have worn it on multiple occasions and nobody has said anything at all as its just a piece of jewellery. Often the simplest explanation is the most plausible.