Challenging Right Wing Views.

Discussion in 'Society, Culture and Politics' started by IIP, Dec 14, 2017.

1. IIP

IIP Guest

It seems many on the right believe that their views must be respected and not challenged, these include racism, sexism, bigotry, misogyny, you get my point but if we disagree our challenges must be polite and understanding, even if they think that black people, or other non white people are second class citizens or all muslims are terrorist, or a womans place is in the kitchen and at home with the children, you get my point, we can't robustly tell them how abhorrent their views are but it seems we must nod politely, hand cupping chin saying I say old bean one views are not mine but I understand and I must allow you to continue believing in such shite, have a like.
    this I feel is the wrong approach, I feel we must attack such views, we much call out such abhorrent views for what they are.
    we need to educate not tolerate.

2. OP
    OP
    IIP

IIP Guest

I agree with everything Irish wrote, :laugh:

gravity aided likes this.
  3. Joey Shabadoo

Joey Shabadoo Regular Member

Are these exclusively right wing views? I can think of a few working men's clubs I've been in where the members were staunchly Labour if not downright Communist but racism, bigotry, mysogyny and all the rest were the order of the day. Do you think Bernard Manning's Rochdale club was a haven for Tories?

I think the -isms cut right across the political spectrum and trying to tar one side or t'other is a bit myopic.

classic33 likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    IIP

IIP Guest

those days are going, not all gone but getting there, is seems the left are prepared to learn from the mistakes of the past but the right seem to be rather than learning they are becoming more entrenched, you might see my views as myopic but at least they are not blind or blinded as yours are by hate and fear.

5. Joey Shabadoo

You mad bro?

classic33 likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    IIP

IIP Guest

be careful the you know who are not happy.
    but
    No, but it seems you are, such an angry reply,

7. Baron Vlad Harkonenn

Baron Vlad Harkonenn Regular Member

@IIP I think you are seeing things that are not there.

Genuine racism is abhorrent as are the other 'isms but I'd suggest many on the left are diluting their meaning and gravity by calling all and anything racist or whatever 'ism when they are not. The left calling all and sundry racist (or any other 'ism/ 'ist) is the modern update of the Peter and the Wolf fable / fairytale.

classic33 likes this.
  8. gravity aided

gravity aided Member

Unless you're in the States.

9. Sonic Budgie

Sonic Budgie Active Member

Bernard Manning wasn't a Labour supporter, see also Jim Davidson and Chubby Brown. You're confusing working class with left wing. Id say that that's as much of a problem with the people voting as it is with those looking on, at the risk of making gross generalisations, if you were blue collar you voted Labour as did your father etc etc, probably more due to the Unions than where your own views should have put you, being a dyed in the wool Labour supporter doesn't automatically make you left wing. As Irish says above, those days are going.

10. Sonic Budgie

Sonic Budgie Active Member

I don't disagree that isms can be bandied about too easily, but look at your own post "genuine racism", what does that mean? Racism is abhorrent, there is no genuine needed, that suggests some of it is ok, "I'm not racist, I don't mind the blacks, it's the Muslims I don't like." The bigger issue for me is the desire to stop these things being challenged, try to call out racism, get called a snowflake, try to call out mysogyny get called hen pecked and so on. I certainly think that individuals can get a little carried away with it but what is far worse are attempts to shut down dialogue all together, gravity aided gives a beautifully succinct post above which spells out the dangers for us in 5 words.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
  11. mr_cellophane

mr_cellophane Regular Member

So why doesn't Labour (Corbyn) say more against the anti-semitism in the Labour Party ?

Baron Vlad Harkonenn likes this.
  12. Joey Shabadoo

A bit of an aside maybe (I'd say the -ism's are more related to education than any left or right wing ideology and this thread is just trolling really) but what you're saying is the Labour party's move to the left is away from the working classes, something that's borne out here - https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2017/06/does-working-class-need-ask-its-labour-party-back

13. tyreon

tyreon Member

I want to celebrate with your views, Irish. Alas,I haven't bin invited to the party with Chukka,Emily T,D Grieve,Keir Starmer and the like. I heard the champers to be very nice. Did you watch QT last night? Those annoying plebs! Ignorant...the lot of 'em. If only they would listen and believe in the words of Chukka, KS and the like. There's nowt so worse as White Trash.

14. Baron Vlad Harkonenn

Baron Vlad Harkonenn Regular Member

The thing about the left and in particular throwing the racist label all over the place at people who are not is baffling.

As @mr_cellophane has mentioned, you don't hear them shouting and screaming with the same venom about antisemitism as they do about racism, no silence. And that is because there is a heirachy of who deserves their attention as alluded to in the Gladiators of the Left thread.

I've no idea why the left are not all over black on black, brown on black and brown on yellow slavery which is still widely prevelant in Africa and the Middle East.

15. Big Andy

Big Andy Senior Member Staff Member

My take on this.
    It matters not whether views are right wing, left wing or whatever, and certainly any of the usual isms are not exclusive to either right or left that is for certain.
    If anyone finds any particular view whatever it is abhorrent they are perfectly at liberty to challenge those views and state they find thise views abhorrent, but we are all intelligent people and we can do that without descending to personal attack and snidey little digs that add absolutely nothing to any discussion and only serve to diminish any point trying to be made and make the place generally unpleasant.
    When you write a post, before hitting Post Reply read it through, if there is a personal attack or snidey dig delete that part before you post it.
    Self moderation is the best form of moderation.

It is also worth remembering that just because you think a particular comment can be labelled by one of the isms it doesnt mean that everyone else does. So by all means challenge the post contents and explain why you feel the label fits but don't expect any accompanying personal attack or snidey dig that you didn't self moderate to go unmoderated.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice