Christmas Day Meal

Discussion in 'The Tearoom' started by pubrunner, Dec 20, 2017.

1. pubrunner

pubrunner Regular Member

Hi All,

I've decided to skip having Turkey this Christmas; there'll only be four of us, so we've decided to go for a Chicken and a joint of beef and/or ham.

Some people I know have a joint of roast ham, but others say the best way is to boil it. I've even heard of those who cook it in coca cola ? Have any of you cooked it this way ?

We find it difficult, to get good results roasting beef or ham; it never seems to be as tender, as it is when we eat out - are we cooking at too high a temperature ?

Can anyone offer any culinary Christmas guidance ?

2. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Active Member Staff Member

Beef is the toughest of the meats we eat most often.

Overcooking it would tend to add to the toughness.

The instructions in the various cooking guides are quite good, but I think there's always a temptation to leave it in a little while longer.

Ham isn't really my thing, although I would be inclined to boil it rather than roast it.

Plain water is probably as good as any, although I think it's usual to season the water with salt, pepper, an onion or two and the like.

pubrunner likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    pubrunner

pubrunner Regular Member

I'd like to have the ham cold and sliced, on a sandwich made with good quality bread, with tomato and some English mustard.

4. Pale Rider

Me too.

Buying a pre-cooked joint is probably a good plan if you want it cold.

pubrunner likes this.
  5. Sonic Budgie

Sonic Budgie Active Member

6. Sonic Budgie

We've done boiled gammon joints quite often over the years and then honey glazed them :mrpig:
    I've not done the coca cola thing although I've read about it, here's a recipe if you're interested,
    http://www.cookingbites.com/threads/ham-in-coca-cola.6477/#post-44170

7. OP
    OP
    pubrunner

pubrunner Regular Member

That'll probably be the easiest option, so I'll probably do that.

I think it is well-worth asking others how they make their own food arrangements for the Christmas Day food; I suspect that for most of us, we tend to do the same as the previous year.

I was talking to a mate the other night about Christmas cakes - I told him that my better half always makes a cake - which has plenty of brandy soaked into it; his reply, was that his wife used to do the same, but they think the cake is much better if it has dark rum in it. I rather wish ours had been done with dark rum - maybe next year.

8. Welsh dragon

Welsh dragon Senior Member Staff Member

We may decide to forget about all the cooking for hours on end, the 30 minutes spent eating it, the 4 hours suffering because of over eating , and the 3 hours sleeping it off and just buy a couple of ready meals. And no washing up either. :okay:

pubrunner likes this.
  9. Pale Rider

My sister in law is in charge at my older brother's house.

I think we are having a turkey breast joint, and most of the vegetables - apart from those sitting around the table - will be M&S pre-prepared.

Cooking that little lot for five of us shouldn't be too much work.

Although as the Dragon says, it's still several hours in the kitchen on Christmas morning.

pubrunner likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    pubrunner

pubrunner Regular Member

Well yes, there is quite a lot of work involved - which I skillfully avoid, citing the need to take the dog for a long walk. My better half pretty much does everything - apart from carving the joint, which is clearly a job for the man of the house . . . . . . . even if I do use an electric carving knife. :whistle:

11. Sonic Budgie

We'll be having spuds and sprouts and carrots from the garden this year.

12. Welsh dragon

We can't seem to be able to get gammon right these days. It is always to salty and Mr WD has to be careful of salt intake due to high blood pressure.

pubrunner likes this.
  13. Pale Rider

Almost certainly nicer than pre-prepared, but I don't think any of us are gardeners.

Sister in law will be bringing all the stuff from her place, so what she's doing makes sense.

14. Welsh dragon

I like sprouts and you can''t beat fresh ones.

15. OP
    OP
    pubrunner

pubrunner Regular Member

We certainly can't get beef or ham right - there's place in the local town, where they'll sell slices of ham (and beef) from large joints; try as we might, we seem unable to produce the same results at home.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice