1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Complacency breeds failure

Discussion in 'The Tearoom' started by Tailendguy, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Tailendguy

Tailendguy New Member

Hi Folks,

I am based in Milton Keynes which has probably the best laid out car and cycle network in the UK.

However, I feel we have got complacent.

Welsh dragon likes this.
  2. Welsh dragon

Welsh dragon Well-Known Member Staff Member

Hello and welcome. To be honest i have never been to Milton Keynes, and i am not sure that is a bad thing. I have heard however that all the roads look the same. I think there are a few towns like that in the UK.

How do you find the roads? Is it easy to find your way around?
  3. Bromptonaut

Bromptonaut Rohan Man

The Folding Society have done several Origami Phoenix rides around Milton Keynes. Using the 'Redways' and minor roads we got to see a remarkable amount of the place while encountering few cars. We were however a large group in daylight. I believe some bits of Redway are at bewst intimidating and at worst 'no go' if lone and/or late.
  4. Welsh dragon

Doesn't sound like the nicest of places. I always have visions of all the houses looking exactly the same and the roads as well with lots of roundabouts thrown in for good measure. Seems to be the blueprint for towns of the future.
  5. Bromptonaut

Bromptonaut Rohan Man

While it is probably UK's Capital of Roundabouts your vision of the housing is quite wrong.

There is a huge range of building types in different areas of the city. In some areas Commission for New Towns designs proliferated but these were public housing built to Parker Morris standards and feel very spacious compared to today's new builds. Other parts like Giffard Park were private developments and have a mix of styles but are well laid out in a way which stops back roads from turning into rat runs.

The Origami rides mentioned above also took us round areas that had lakes and landscaping reminiscent of a Center Parcs resort!!
  6. Welsh dragon

I have been looking at houses for sale in Milton Keynes and while i admit there seems to be quite a variety, i don't think i would like living there. To built up, to many people etc. I bow to the experience of others but i have never been someone who likes living in places like that. After living in Birmingham for many decades i couldn't get away quick enough.

For me, a place/town should be something that evolves naturally over a very long time. In the town closest to me, there are houses that are 600 years old plus and houses that are 20 years old. Some are 1920's and some are Victorian. They blend and mesh together. Can you achieve that kind of feel with a town that has been planned on a large scale with everything laid out?
    classic33 likes this.
  7. Welsh dragon

For me, the best thing about building a town like that would be that at least cycle paths can be incorporated into the design and in fact can be made a priority. :okay:
    classic33 likes this.
  8. Welsh dragon

What do people living in Milton Keynes think of it @Tailendguy ?
  9. Jezza

Jezza Regular Member

I quite like Milton Keynes for a visit. Have driven to and through it a few times plus been around some of the redroads on an electric bike. Used to visit John at Cyclezee the electric bike gurus there. He's retired now. Wouldn't want to live there though, bit too 'built up and busy' for me.
    Welsh dragon likes this.
  10. Welsh dragon

I wouldn't mind having the cycle paths that Milton Keynes has around here. That i would like, very much.:okay:
    Jezza likes this.