Cost of going to church

Discussion in 'Religion, Faith and Spirituality' started by Jezza, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Jezza

Jezza Regular Member

Give the Mormons a miss. They expect 10% of your gross income every year.
    Our own dear old CofE is a bargain, you put whatever you choose into the collection plate, and that only when you attend.
    Like most Anglicans we only go on high cays , holy days and for rites of passage.
    Tops it costs us £50 a year for me and MrsP.
    Our Parish Priest has a fine collection of foreign coins BTW albeit NOT via us.

Ashness likes this.
  2. gravity aided

gravity aided Member

Same here, the American Episcopal Church only wants 10%, but you don't hear very much about it. I go most every week, as our priest comes up with some pretty challenging concepts in his sermons, which keeps your thinking fresh. Much of the ritual is like that of the CofE, especially in the Midwest and Upper Midwest, where service is mostly high church. Our Apostolic Succession comes from the Non-Jurors of Scotland, as they were the ones who would install Samuel Seabury as a bishop, previous to the revolution, all clergy had to be ordained in Great Britain.

3. OP
    OP
    Jezza

Jezza Regular Member

ECUSA is part of the Anglican family. Did you know that the ACNA has consecrated a bishop for England in order to recruit amongst the more traditionalist and conservative Anglican parishes?

4. gravity aided

gravity aided Member

If someone were family, you might have them to tea now and then. No matter what others may say about them.

Jezza likes this.
  5. DarkMist

DarkMist Guest

The catholic church is estimated to be worth $10 billion. The tray still goes round the church every Sunday. They haven't introduced a subscription fee though. So you should be okay there.

6. Big Andy

Big Andy Well-Known Member Staff Member

I very rarely go to church, just the usual arrivals mergers and departures. I dont worry about the financial cost but am always slightly nervous about bursting in to flames. :angel:

7. Welsh dragon

Welsh dragon Senior Member Staff Member

The church hasn't had any money from me in around 47 years. I have only been in a church 4 times in that period. 1 wedding, 3 departures as Andy would say.

Not a church goer or believer...

8. Bromptonaut

Bromptonaut Rohan Man

Me neither. Twice in last year for funerals and there will be another encounter nest year for my daughter's wedding. I do quite like the Remembrance Day Service though having had to attend accompanying kids as Brownies/Guides, Cubs/Scouts and then the Air Cadets.

9. Welsh dragon

Welsh dragon Senior Member Staff Member

The only thing i really liked was midnight mass at Christmas. Very dark, lots of candles, lots of colour. ^_^ as a kid that is.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice