1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do people become more right wing as they grow older?

Discussion in 'Society, Culture and Politics' started by Jezza, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Jezza

Jezza Regular Member

Recent research here from the Conservative Party tells us that people are now age 47 before they consider joining.
    That's up from age 35 a decade ago.
    I'd say "Yep" , as a 'rule of thumb' but not to generalise- the older people get then the more conservatively inclined they become.
    That said I'm 65 and definitely NOT as far to the right as I was in my twenties.
  2. Spinney

Spinney Regular Member

I'm late 50s, and much more left wing than I was when younger. Perhaps it's seeing what a pigs ear the Tories seem to be making of the country at the moment.
    Smethwick likes this.
  3. Welsh dragon

Welsh dragon Well-Known Member Staff Member

I don't think they changed their minds so much, it's more that the EU they voted in favour of bears no resemblance to what it ended up as and that is what they rebelled at when they voted to leave the EU.

Also as we have seen, first time voters have been promised the world almost just to get their votes, and as first time voters, they think politicians will give them everything they are promised. However, if their chosen political party gets into power, those that voted for them will soon learn that what they are promised and what they end up with are totally different.

With age comes (hopefully) wisdom, and growth, and with age, people become more and more aware that politicians tell lies. This can have a tendancy to make people rebel, and the older they get, the more inclined they will be to do so.
  4. mr_cellophane

mr_cellophane Regular Member

I'm late 50s, and much more right wing than I was when younger. Perhaps it's seeing what a pigs ear Labour make of running the country whenever they are in power.
    Cognitio and Jezza like this.
  5. Spinney

Spinney Regular Member

There doesn't seem much to choose between them, really. No idea what the solution is...
    Smethwick and Nazz like this.
  6. Joey Shabadoo

Joey Shabadoo Regular Member

I just become more right as experience informs my judgement. Good ideas can come from both sides of the political spectrum, the trick is not discounting them because they're not from the side your meant to align with.
  7. mr_cellophane

mr_cellophane Regular Member

True unfortunately one can't vote for 5 Tory policies, 2 LibDem and 4 Labour ones (even with a coalition government) Which will be the problem if there is a second Brexit vote - i.e. I don't like the deal, but is that because it goes too far breaking away from the EU, or because it doesn't go far enough.
  8. Joey Shabadoo

No, but when the Parties are more in line with the Centre, they can happily cherrypick from each other. This infuriates the extremists and purists on both sides and they make a lot of noise, but they very much are a noisy minority. Labour's lurch to the left has been mirrored by the Tories staggering to the right due to a weak leader unable to control her extremists.

I would say between Blair being elected and his wars was a good time for this country. A progressive government investing in services but underpinned by an economy benefiting from Tory financial planning. Plenty to keep the moderate left, moderate right and the centre happy.
    Nazz likes this.
  9. gravity aided

gravity aided Member

In the States, I would say that I started as a centrist, although my parents leaned quite left. But the parties were more centrist then as well. Sen. Dirksen was from our town, and knew and visited my parents now and again. He also had alot to do with getting the civil rights legislation through congress, yet he was a Republican, through and through. But about the 1980's, with the advent of Ronald Reagan as president, the Republican Party started purging its left and center elements to start on the road to the present ultra-right group grope it is today. The more you know and meet people outside your comfort zone, the more new experiences you have with others you may not select yourself, the more tolerant you will be, in my opinion. As I have aged, I have drifted to the left, and the past election results have borne me out.
  10. OP

Jezza Regular Member

An advantage of sitting as an Independent is that one can cherry pick the best ideas from across the political spectrum without having to accept a party whip.
    A disadvantage of standing as an Independent candidate beyond Tier 1 is that the two main parties have the money, people and resources to 'out-canvass' Independent candidates. Hence we seldom get Independent MPs.
    elected. Martin Bell was, possibly; the last one in Westminster.
  11. Nazz

Nazz Member

As with most things, some will and some won't, they may veer to the right or left, or indeed remain as they are.
  12. Joey Shabadoo

I think the last one was Dr Richard Taylor. Martin Bell is a unique case in that the opposition parties stood aside to allow him a free run at the disgraced Tory Neil Hamilton.
  13. OP

Jezza Regular Member

Synchronicity or what?
    Watching PMQs yesterday an MP stood up and his strapline was "Independent".
    Can't remember his name but suspect he is someone from whom the party whip has been withdrawn.

Just checked.. it was this guy...
    • Independent MP Charlie Elphicke (Dover) asked about preparations for leaving the European Union"
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2017