1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drones

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by Big Andy, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Big Andy

Big Andy Well-Known Member Staff Member

From the mundane news thread. I thought it better to discuss in a thread on it's own.

Drones when flown lawfully in compliance with the Air Navigation Order (ANO) and drone code are not an issue at all, the problem is making Joe Bloggs who has never been involved in model aircraft flying and doesn't have the experience and knowledge that you gain from being a member of a model flying club aware of his responsibilities. Drones are very easy to fly and just about anyone can unpack one from it's box and fly them successfully just be ensuring the battery is properly charged. The BMFA are fully supportive of drone flying when conducted lawfully and also consider that the current regulations are perfectly adequate to deal with those who fly in breach of the ANO, however they do need to be enforced which is where the problem lays. There is a certain amount of hysteria in the press about drones and our main concern is that the press hysteria will lead to more restrictive legislation that may affect the more established and traditional model aircraft flying disciplines which have a long and excellent safety record.

There is also the challenge of integrating commercial drone activities, such as drone deliveries in to our airspace and the European Aviation Safety Agency has been working on new Europe wide regulations that they hope will achieve this. Initially it looked like what they were proposing would have a major detrimental effect on model aircraft flying but after a lot of lobbying their recommendations appear to now be trying to ensure model flying can continue pretty much as it has for many years. See the BMFA CEO response to the latest EASA opinion here

In essence it's probably primarily a matter of education. Educating those who go and buy a camera equipped drone with no idea of their legal responsibilities but also educate the masses that they aren't being used to spy and perv on people in bedrooms and their gardens, the hobbiest drones simply are not very good for doing that, too noisy and the cameras are better for landscape photography. There isn't really a privacy issue with consumer drones at all, certainly no more than there is with everyone having a camera on their phone.

classic33 and Welsh dragon like this.
  2. Welsh dragon

Welsh dragon Senior Member Staff Member

Like everything else, i think a few numpties have a tendancy to ruin things for the majority. Drones can be immense fun. I have seen competitiions on TV and they do seem to need great skill to navigate the courses set out.

I would like to see more organised races and gatherings like you have with model aircraft flying. Might get rid of the odiots that you find everywhere these days.

classic33 likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Big Andy

Drone racing is massive and it's something we at the BMFA actively promote and as long as it is taking place in sensible locations causes none of the issues at all.
    This is from the Royal Aero Club Queens Cup contest that I arranged in 2016.

classic33 and Welsh dragon like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Big Andy

5. Welsh dragon

Welsh dragon Senior Member Staff Member

That looks like a lot of fun. ^_^

6. OP
    OP
    Big Andy

It is.

Welsh dragon likes this.
  7. classic33

classic33 Well-Known Member

There only needs to be one or two cases that make the headlines for restrictions to be asked for/demanded. Problem I've seen is that many of the places selling them focus on the flying it straight out off the box, in the safety of your own back garden.

Welsh dragon likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    Big Andy

Thankfully the CAA are fairly realistic and we have a very good working relationship with them. However you never know when some politician wants to try and make a name for themselves.

classic33 likes this.
  9. classic33

classic33 Well-Known Member

With regards the changes made earlier this year. Equipment seized if you're caught using them illegally or in a manner likely to endanger others, how will this effect their use? In your opinion.

I've a R/C helicopter that I'd not attempt to fly near where I live, "restricted airspace" if that is the correct term to use for an area under a final approach path to the local airport.

10. OP
    OP
    Big Andy

It wont.
    Those that were flying safely and responsibly (the biggest group) before will carry on without causing a problem.
    The ignorant (next biggest group) will hopefully be educated and become safe responsible operators.
    The stupid will remain stupid and the deliberately unlawful dont give a monkeys so will carry on regardless.

classic33 likes this.