1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

England is going to introduce a bottle and can tax

Discussion in 'Environment and Science' started by Welsh dragon, Mar 28, 2018.

1. Welsh dragon

Welsh dragon Senior Member Staff Member

It has been announced in the news today, that a plastic bottle and can tax is to be introduced to cut down on the waste that people in the UK throw away each year.

Scotland and Wales will also be doing studies into the possibility of doing the same thing.

Excellent news as far as i am concerned, but i do think the manufacturing companies should be doing a hell of a lot more to use plastics that can be re-cycled.

We as consumers never asked food producers to use more and more plastics when packing food. I think they should take responsibility for the huge increase in plastics that are used.

I think they should be made to pay for machines outside supermarkets to encourage people to bring used items back to the supermarkets, and i think they should be made to use better materials that will not add to the mountains of plastics.

And i also think, that when they create a new type of packaging, they should also create a way of disposing of the used container, or a way to re-cycle it.

What do you think?

2. classic33

classic33 Well-Known Member

We as consumers are part of the problem, or maybe the start of the problem. How often have you seen someone going down the fruit & veg ailse, picking only one of every item they need and placing them all in seperate plastic bags. What's wrong with taking them to the checkout in the one bag, placing them on the checkout individually and replacing them all in the same bag.

Recycling at present is just above 21%(plastics only) in the UK. Industry figure, the rest goes to landfill or abroad to be disposed off. One other probelm with recycling plastics is the weight and types used

numbers.jpeg
    https://learn.eartheasy.com/articles/plastics-by-the-numbers/

Which bottle is worth the most, in recycling terms?
    images.jpg

3. OP
    OP
    Welsh dragon

Supermarkets don't want you to buy fruit and veg like that. They want you to buy a certain number in plastics bags, plus it takes time for the cashier to weigh them individually which is another thing supermarkets don't want you to do.

4. classic33

They may not want you to buy them like that, but the number of times I've been stuck behind a person who has done just that is annoying. Buying just enough either for a recipe or a meal at work. Jacket potatoes being the easiest to identify. They buy for three people, each spud in it's own bag!

Take it to supermarket level. Home deliveries, I'm told each item is in it's own bag

Welsh dragon likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Welsh dragon

I must admit, i once bought online from a supermarket and the number of bags that were used was riddiculous.

classic33 likes this.
  6. classic33

As for cans, collected them for charity. A number of cafe's in the town saving them for me at one stage. Not uncommon to be getting on a bus with a wheelie bin liner, or two, full of the things. Sort them, seperate steel & aluminium(Industrial magnet and a steel bar), then flatten the things, great for anger management or exercise. Then bag in clear plastic bags and get them weighed in. Best we ever managed was @£110, for one load, 20 wheelie bin liners as brought home.

On a good day, I might have ten or twelve of the bags to bring out. Now things have increased numberwise.

Welsh dragon likes this.
  7. classic33

Which bottle is worth the most, in recycling terms?

8. OP
    OP
    Welsh dragon

I would guess the clear one. I could be wrong of course. ^_^

9. classic33

Your not. And it's worth upto six times as much as any of the others.

10. OP
    OP
    Welsh dragon

It is easier to use clear plastic. Harder when it is already coloured, then the re-cycle use is far more limited.

11. classic33

If you, as a company, used coloured bottles anyway shouldn't it lower the cost?

Now think about when you last saw a clear, unprinted bag, in a shop.

12. OP
    OP
    Welsh dragon

It won't lower the cost because you can only re use it for darker/black items. You can't lighten the colour of coloured plastics for re use.

13. classic33

If you, as a company, were already using those coloured bottles, recycling them should lower your costs. Less dye/colouring required on new ones, than if starting from a clear plastic.

Maybe the companies should be doing a bit more. Not just the consumers.

14. OP
    OP
    Welsh dragon

They might be using them, but not manufacturing them. Totally different. But i do agree, companies that use the plastic bottles for their goods should take more responsibilty for what happens to them after they have been used. Goes back to what i said originally, we the consumers never asked for our food or other products to be wrapped in plastic or polystyrene. It was all the suppliers idea, so they should do everything they can to use plastics that can be used again, or to use plastics or other bio degradable packaging.

15. classic33

We as consumers "demanded" better safeguards on food, that it hadn't been handled before, dropped and put back. Sealing jars when warm was no longer good enough for us, plastic security strip placed round the lid an jar(Seems to have been dropped by many now though). Packets within boxes?