1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EU citizen application will be likened to getting a drivers license

Discussion in 'UK and World News' started by Welsh dragon, Nov 23, 2017.

1. Welsh dragon

Welsh dragon Senior Member Staff Member

Apparently EU citizen applications will be as easy as applying for a drivers license. Or will it. Government agencies are notorious at not being able to get things right, so what if anything will make this process work
    Given that people have had problems up to now.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-42063898

2. Big Andy

Big Andy Well-Known Member Staff Member

I think, in general, most Govt agencies do get there procedures right, it's just we don't hear about things that are working only the cock ups. Only bad news is news these days.

I don't see why this can't be straight forward, although I am sure there will be a small number of errors that no doubt we will read about in the media that blown out of proportion.

3. OP
    OP
    Welsh dragon

I hope they get it right as i have a vested interest in this particular item. I am an EU citizen and will still be an EU citizen when the UK finally leaves rhe union. I will be one of those who will have to complete the form. If they get it wrong, i could well receive a letter telling me i have to leave.^_^

4. classic33

classic33 Well-Known Member

If it is going to be just like getting a drivers licence I hope the checks made are a bit better than those for a driving licence. I had one delivered to me last year, and I'm not allowed to drive! Someone else made the application in my name.

5. Big Andy

Surely that shows the system working, failure would have been sending it to the person who applied in your name?

6. OP
    OP
    Welsh dragon

I do admit that when i renewed my license a month or so ago, i was a bit wary because as an EU citizen i had to send my passport to them along with other documents as proof of identity. I have heard of cases where they have lost documents like birth certificates etc. They lost my sons birth certificate and just shrugged it off as not important and they couldn't really care, so i hope they deal with things better than that.

7. classic33

classic33 Well-Known Member

If the system worked, they'd not have issued the licence. I'm not allowed to drive on medical grounds.

8. DarkMist

DarkMist Guest

If they apply at all. There are plenty here illegally. Mind you, if most went back there would be no one left in the hospitality industry that's for sure. Empty hotel desks all over London. Dirty hotel rooms not cleaned. Let them stay and pay their taxes and support the UK. No brainer.

9. Julia9054

Julia9054 Member

Really? You have statistics that even the government can't manage to collect? Do tell . . .

classic33 likes this.
  10. DarkMist

DarkMist Guest

No I don’t think anyone has. Are you suggesting there are no EU nationals here illegally or that the number is insignificant?

I am very much for EU nationals being here. Most of those I have come into contact with are good hard working people. We should let them stay. They are good for the country and it will be a great shame if most leave.

11. Big Andy

Is it currently possible for EU citizens to be here illegally?

12. DarkMist

DarkMist Guest

I thought so. Don’t you need a work visa.

13. Julia9054

Julia9054 Member

You made an unsubstantiated statement. I called you out on it. That is all.

classic33 likes this.
  14. DarkMist

DarkMist Guest

15. Big Andy

I have no idea, I thought the freedom of movement thing meant you could go anywhere in the EU and live and work.

Welsh dragon likes this.