Ever had Japanese food ?

Discussion in 'The Tearoom' started by pubrunner, Dec 20, 2017.

1. pubrunner

pubrunner Regular Member Staff Member

Hi All,

In all my 25+ years at the pub and in the time that has followed, I've never, ever had Japanese food; some time between Christmas and New Year, I (& family) intend to go to one of the following Japanese restaurants in Shrewsbury :

http://www.umaishrewsbury.com/

or

https://www.itadakizenshrewsbury.com/

My better half would prefer to go to the Umai, purely because it offers meat and fish dishes; I'd like to try the Itakizen, because I've never had vegan food.

The desire to visit a Japanese restaurant has been prompted by my youngest son (13) - he tried 'sushi' at a friend's house and as he really enjoyed it, he'd like to have 'sushi' again.

It need be mentioned, that not only have I never had sushi, I don't really know what it is - I've a (vague) notion that it might contain fish wrapped in rice, though I see that the (Vegan) Itadakien offers a 'Sushi Course'. The Itadakien might be suitable for my son, but I'm worried that he might not eat any of it, on the basis that the 'sushi' that he tried previously, was probably from Tesco (or similar) and won't be anything like what we will get at a 'proper' Japanese restaurant.

Is there a kind of 'banquet' choice, in which we can try a range of dishes ? What I would like to know, is which dishes might suit some 'newbies' to Japanese food ?

2. Big Andy

Big Andy Well-Known Member Staff Member

As long as you don't have the Fugu you will be fine.

Welsh dragon and pubrunner like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    pubrunner

Ha Ha ! - I found that clip very funny ! :okay:

4. Baron Vlad Harkonenn

Baron Vlad Harkonenn Regular Member

Nope. I'm more of a ham, egg and chips type.

pubrunner likes this.
  5. Welsh dragon

Welsh dragon Senior Member Staff Member

I'm with Baron. I am not adventurous at all. I occassionally have a mild curry, but that's about it.. bangers and mash for me, or steak and kidney pie and chips.^_^

Pale Rider and pubrunner like this.
  6. Sonic Budgie

Sonic Budgie Active Member

I've had sushi a number of times, I'm not a huge fan of it to be honest. I think as with so many things a lot of it is down to the quality, I've only tried the stuff from the sandwich counter in Tesco or from a generic Japanese buffet, maybe I'd be convinced if I had some really pucker stuff.

7. OP
    OP
    pubrunner

Yebbut, these are all things that you can have at home . . . . . . . or can sushi/Japanese food easily be prepared at home ?

8. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Active Member Staff Member

Same as Budgie, I've only ever had a couple of trays from the supermarket, neither of which made much impression one way or the other.

But what I don't know is if what I've had is quality sushi or a poor imitation, so I would also be curious to try some regarded as top class.

pubrunner likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    pubrunner

This ^^^ is my concern; my son has tried 'sushi' and is keen to try it again, but if he's had the stuff from a supermarket, it will probably be quite different to what we'll get in a restaurant.

10. Jezza

Jezza Regular Member

Went to a Japanese resto once on a work do.
    Called in at the chippie on my way home for haddock chips n peas with a gherkin.
    The Japanese was nice food but not exactly 'filling'.

pubrunner likes this.
  11. OP
    OP
    pubrunner

Hmm ! My lads might want a BurgerKing or KFC as a 'top-up' on the way home.

Jezza likes this.
  12. Pale Rider

I could always go a Burger King on the way home, and on the way there for that matter.

Back on topic, I recall Japanese restaurants becoming a lot more numerous in London when I was living there in the 80s.

It was due in part to a large influx of Japanese financiers and bankers.

I never visited any of the new restaurants, not least because the word on the street was they were very expensive.

pubrunner likes this.
  13. OP
    OP
    pubrunner

Ha ! Well there are few of either, here in rural Shropshire - we'll be traveling to Shrewsbury, for our sushi experience.

14. Pale Rider

Ludlow, of course, is something of a foodie hotspot.

There may be some spill over to Shrewsbury, so hopefully the Japanese place will be up to snuff.

pubrunner likes this.
  15. Baron Vlad Harkonenn

Baron Vlad Harkonenn Regular Member

We watched Masterchef the pro's earlier, or the Wife did and does.

The problem with 99% of the stuff they cook is that I can't even look at it without feeling a bit green let alone eat it. I look away from the telly a fair bit, it is like the adult version of Dr Who for me but I've managed so far not to hide behind the setee. Setee is a word that isn't used enough these days and is somewhere you used to sit to eat you tea whilst watching the telly instead of going to a poncy restaurant for dinner :whistle:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice