1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Farage suggests 2nd referendum!

Discussion in 'Society, Culture and Politics' started by Big Andy, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Big Andy

Big Andy Well-Known Member Staff Member

Surprised me.
    Hes obviously convinced the result will be the same.

2. Welsh dragon

Welsh dragon Senior Member Staff Member

You have got to be kidding. After everything that has happened? Where did you see that? I havn't seen the latest news yet.

3. OP
    OP
    Big Andy

Big Andy Well-Known Member Staff Member

Welsh dragon likes this.
  4. Welsh dragon

Oh for goodness sake. What an idiot. I wasn't sure either way when the referendum took place. Now i just want to get out of it ASAP.

5. Lozz360

Lozz360 New Member

Firstly, I do not believe Nigel Farage is completely sincere about wanting a second referendum.

Secondly, I honestly do not know how a second referendum would work. For instance, the current talks will eventually (we hope) produce a deal about how the UK and the EU will interact with each other post Brexit. The second referendum will then allow the people of the UK to decide whether we should be in or out of the EU based on this deal. If the nation then decides to leave, all well and good, we continue with Brexit and the deal is executed. But suppose the referendum goes the other way and the nation elects to remain? As we have triggered Article 50 we would in effect have to reverse Brexit by re-applying. Which would mean re-joining the EU but on renewed terms (accepting the Euro as our currency would be just one item). The new "remaining" deal will be very different from the one we voted to leave in 2016. Therefore, the new deal would have to be put to the public in the form of a third referendum. the risk would then be that the third referendum returns a leave vote and the Brexit talks start all over again from the beginning.

Welsh dragon likes this.
  6. Welsh dragon

Having a 2nd referendum would be a disaster in my opinion. It is already a total shambles with all the arguements that are taking place. A 2nd referendum would throw everything into utter chaos i think.

Big Andy and Lozz360 like this.
  7. 26x25

26x25 Member

Well, we've gotta have jobs for the boys......

Welsh dragon likes this.