Films & Movies

Discussion in 'Arts, Entertainment, Music, TV and Books' started by IIP, Nov 18, 2017.

1. IIP

IIP Guest

The Siege of Jadotville (2016) ......Mark Strong, Jamie Dornan.....film about an Irish U.N. peacekeeping mission in the Congo in 1961, I really enjoyed this film good acting, good action, good story, made all the better being about Irish soldiers, who this year will recieve more of the recognition they deserve........ 8/10
    the real story and aftermath is a very interesting story well worth the read.
    I never knew much about this part of Irish history until around 1992-3 when visiting an ex Irish soldier who told me one of the reasons he joined the Irish army was because of the Siege of Jadotville.

2. OP
    OP
    IIP

IIP Guest

Killing Gunther (2017)......Arnold Schwarzenegger, Tarmac Killiam, assassins team up to kill the worlds best assassin, meant to be a comedy but there aren't many laughs, there is a few but even then they are not very funny, Arnold Schwarzenegger is fairly good with some humour but the Arnie reference jokes are now old, dated and no longer funny. 3/10

3. OP
    OP
    IIP

IIP Guest

The Swimmer (1968).......Burt Lancaster...... this is still a very interesting film and in many ways ahead of its time, probably why it wasn't very successful, Burt Lancaster is fantastic in this film about man who married well, lived a philandering lifestyle, the type of man who seems to be adored by women, envied by men, which all came crashing down leaving him suffering from some type of illness, which is told through different snipbits as he tries to swim home.
    8.5/10

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
    pubrunner and kirkdale like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    IIP

IIP Guest

Thor: Ragnarok (2017)...Chris Hemsworth, Tom Hiddleston, Mark Ruffalo, Cate Blanchett, took the kids to see this at the cinema, I actually enjoyed it, the kids love it, loads of laughs, good action all in all well worth the watch, I'm not the greatest of Thor fans but this was the best of the Thor films.....7.5/10

5. OP
    OP
    IIP

IIP Guest

Justice League (2017)...Ben Affleck, Gal Gadot, Henry Cavill....went with the family to the cinema, family loved it, it is cool having lots of characters in one film but I think I prefare them in their own movies, anyway I enjoyed it and it is well worth the watch 7/10
    ps
    aquaman was good, not too bad at all.

6. pubrunner

pubrunner Regular Member Staff Member

Good series of film reviews ! :okay:

Nazz likes this.
  7. Sonic Budgie

Sonic Budgie Active Member

Pfft, Irish reviews 5 films and gets a pat on the back from the board, I review 6 Marvel superhero series and don't even get a boo ba kiss my arse :sad:

IIP likes this.
  8. pubrunner

pubrunner Regular Member Staff Member

I'm not yet seen your reviews - give me . . . time ! :okay:

9. Sonic Budgie

Over an hour Mr Runner, over an hour!

10. Nazz

Nazz Member

Clearly more of an ambler than a runner.....ahem

Sonic Budgie likes this.
  11. Sonic Budgie

Good point Nazz, particularly when they're right next to each other, I think there's a clique forming to be honest.

Nazz likes this.
  12. Aitch

Aitch Member

I went into the kino in a very generous mood, fully expecting to give this long-awaited film the full complement of 12/10. But I understandably had to knock three points off for the accents, one each for the cod Yorkshire, cod Irish and cod Es'uary, and all those glottal stops cost it another. The jittery-juddery animation style that made me dislike Roobarb and Custard so much could not go unpunished and the shameful way they played up to middle class values made even me blush. The predictable monotony of toggling to black and white for the flashbacks was never going to win favour, was it? Needless to say, the History 101 lesson was not appreciated and the 90 minutes of passive aggression was a point loser. Points were also lost for all the people recording the film on their phones (not the film's fault, I know, but I was beginning to feel uncharitable and they were bloody annoying). The closing theme song (a sickly trite Don Maclean cover, natch) lost the film a gazillion points, so that by the time the credits rolled up and the first to be acknowledged were "Financiers" (Art for Art's sake my Arris!) there were no more points left anywhere in the universe to deduct. Told you I was feeling generous.

Should it be screening near you, you'll have your hair to wash, or some other tripe to dress.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGzKnyhYDQI

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  13. OP
    OP
    IIP

IIP Guest

Mudbound (2017)....Carey Mulligan, Jason Clarke, Mary J. Blige, Garrett Hedlund, Jason Mitchell.... excellent film about about pre and post WW2 Mississippi, where 2 men bond over their experiences of the war,
    this is a very well acted, atmospheric, beautiful cinematography, I really enjoyed this film 8/10
    I do get proper piiissed off when watching such films at the inhumanity shown and acted on a fellow human being solo based on skin colour, and I get doubly annoyed that it is still prevalent today, it might seem we've moved on greatly but deep down very little has changed.

14. Big Andy

Big Andy Well-Known Member Staff Member

Thanks for the review. Not a film ive heard of before but going to look out for it. Hopefully its on Netflix

15. Big Andy

Big Andy Well-Known Member Staff Member

The wife and I watched Mudbound this morning. An excellent film that I would highly recommend anyone watches.

As Irish mentions the actine and cinematography were excellent, the sound let it down just a little. Couldnt always make out what was said but that could be my ears getting old.

I have a more optimistic view when watching that type of film that portrays levels of inhumanity towards those that are different. Im thankfull that we have come a very long way forward since then while appreciating theres still a way to go.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice