Fining the homeless for being homeless

Discussion in 'Society, Culture and Politics' started by Baron Vlad Harkonenn, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Baron Vlad Harkonenn

Baron Vlad Harkonenn Regular Member

I heard about this on the radio the other day and don't know a great deal about it but....

What!

I think the intitial fine is £100 for a homeless person being homeless and can rise to £1,000 if the homeless person continues to be homeless. This is apparently for sleeping on the street.

A classic example of "you couldn't make it up".

2. Welsh dragon

Welsh dragon Senior Member Staff Member

A homeless person normally has absolutely no money, so giving them a fine is meaningless. Fining them even more is even more pointless, and as they are homeless, how can they be fined, and how can the authorities possibly get their money?

Are you sure you heard it right?

3. Bromptonaut

Bromptonaut Rohan Man

IIRC it's done via by-laws or possibly ASBO type stuff. I'm sure my employer would regard it as a 'campaign' issue and it's also been in press.

4. Bromptonaut

Bromptonaut Rohan Man

5. OP
    OP
    Baron Vlad Harkonenn

Baron Vlad Harkonenn Regular Member

Crazy stuff.

I wonder how many fines have been collected.

I'm sure many sleeping rough would quite welcome getting 'locked' up somewhere warm at this time of year, if they couldn't didn't pay

6. Welsh dragon

Welsh dragon Senior Member Staff Member

Well. That just just about beats everything.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice