Foodbanks - do you donate?

Discussion in 'Society, Culture and Politics' started by PD, Nov 10, 2017.

1. PD

PD Retired

Of course foodbanks shouldn't be necessary, but do you donate?

2. Speicher

Speicher Member

When I shop at Ocado they give me the option to "Give £5" or £10 or £20. They then match this amount, and they donate food to Food Banks.

In this small town there is a Food Banks, under the guidance of the Trussell Trust (www.trusselltrust.org).

It is used regularly by about one hundred people per month.

Welsh dragon likes this.
  3. Sonic Budgie

Sonic Budgie Active Member

Something doesn't feel quite right about supermarkets that throw thousands of tons of perfectly edible food away a year asking their customers to donate to food banks.

IIP and kirkdale like this.
  4. Speicher

Speicher Member

Yes, in part I agree, but with several caveats.

Food Banks do not, as far as I am aware, accept fresh fruit, vegetable or bread with a short shelf life. In many instances, Food Banks would like to obtain stock from a supermarket, as they have more control over the food they are given.

My £5, on average, donated every eight weeks, pays for £10 of food, and the transport to where it is needed. I happy with that arrangement.

The question about tons of edible food that is thrown away, is much more complex. It is also not just supermarkets but the whole of the food chain, including the customers.

Sonic Budgie and kirkdale like this.
  5. Jezza

Jezza Regular Member

Those of us who shop in some of the major supermarkets all donate to foodbanks indirectly.
    Supermarkets factor spoilage into costs and donate late date stock to foodbanks and homeless shelters.
    Hence a fraction of every pound spent by shoppers is going to charity.
    I don't donate directly to foodbanks but do send the Salvation Army a donation each Christmas. They do good work.

6. Speicher

Speicher Member

I expect that Ocado realised that if people are using on-line grocery delivery, they might not visit large supermarkets. I certainly do not, as I prefer to shop at my local small shops for fruit, vegetables, jams, cakes, and bread. I use Ocado (or sometimes Asda) for the bigger, heavier and/or bulkier items, and a small amount of alcohol. They give me the option of donating. It is not an "add-on" at the checkpoint, you have to find it in your list of "favourites".

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice