Footballers, bless 'em

Discussion in 'Law, Order and Defence' started by Pale Rider, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Active Member Staff Member

I see a couple of footballers are doing their best to keep our courts occupied.

Liverpool and England player Jon Flanagan gave his lass a few slaps - and a kick - in what sounds like a delightful incident in the city centre.

Former England player Trevor Sinclair jumped in his car after having a few too many, and then tried to play the race card with the polis who arrested him.

That appears to have backfired, given his conviction for racially aggravated public disorder.

But good old Trev had the last laugh on the copper by pissing in his police car.

What a pair of charmers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-42545515

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-42542180

2. Welsh dragon

Welsh dragon Senior Member Staff Member

How charming. It takes a big man to hit a woman. They both deserve everything they get, but knowing how most football players seem to be teflon coated they will probably just get a slap on the wrist as per usual.

3. OP
    OP
    Pale Rider

Looks like Flanagan's victim declined to make a statement, so no doubt we will be told she is standing by her 'man'.

One is bound to wonder if she would have been quite so keen to continue the relationship if he worked in a biscuit factory.

4. Welsh dragon

Some women are like that and it doesn't seem to matter what their partner does for a living, they still put up with being treated like dirt. In this day and age i have no idea why they put up with things like that.

In parts of America i understand that the problem was so bad that new laws were introduced. If the police are called to a domestic even if the injured party refuses to press charges, the perpetrator is arrested and prosecuted and quite right to. That should be the law here as well.

5. Bromptonaut

Bromptonaut Rohan Man

The Dragon hits the nail on the head. It's nowt to do with Flanagan's income.

6. OP
    OP
    Pale Rider

Flanagan was charged despite the victim refusing to cooperate with the prosecution.

Realistically, I don't know why she refused to make a statement, but I'm afraid the cynic in me says having had 18 months of a footballer's wife lifestyle, she had at least half an eye on continuing the non-stop shopping and partying.

Welsh dragon likes this.
  7. Welsh dragon

I am really glad the police decided to prosecute despite the victim not wanting to do so. I think this needs to happen more in the future.

8. Bromptonaut

Bromptonaut Rohan Man

So why does the same thing happens when Johnny N'er Do Well beats up his G/F?

9. Lozz360

Lozz360 New Member

Interesting that the police can achieve a prosecution without the testimony of the victim?

10. Welsh dragon

As far as i know, if there is good evidance to show that domestic violence has taken place, then that's all they need. I know it sounds like that would be difficult if the victim refuses to co operate, but i am sure people have been arrested.

11. OP
    OP
    Pale Rider

Routinely, the prosecution of someone for violence would be based on the evidence of the victim.

However, it's not crucial.

If the victim made a statement to police, that can be used, even if he/she doesn't subsequently want it to be.

In the case of street violence, there may be other witnesses: 'I saw Smith hit Jones with a baseball bat'.

Some minor domestic violence prosecutions are dropped if the victim has a change of heart.

Equally, it's quite common for a domestic violence prosecution to proceed, and at sentence the defendiing lawyer will say in mitigation something like: 'She's forgiven him and they are back together'.

Welsh dragon likes this.
  12. Bromptonaut

Bromptonaut Rohan Man

Different context but woman allegedly raped by Ched Evans didn't make allegation herself.

13. Welsh dragon

Personally, i am glad that evidence for a prosecution isn't needed from the victim as all too often the women (and men) in some cases often retract the statements they make, and this in turn is a green light for the guilty party to continue the abuse.

I hope cases like this send out a clear message to abusers that they can still be prosecuted for their crimes. Although, sadly in most cases i do not think it will make much differance as far as the initial abuse is concerned.

14. Lozz360

Lozz360 New Member

He was convicted (now acquitted on appeal) on her testimony alone. @Welsh dragon made the point that in parts of America, perpetrators of domestic violence can be prosecuted even if the victim chooses not to press charges. I don’t know much about American law, but here in England and Wales a victim has to make a formal complaint for there to be a crime. Murder is an obvious exception.

15. Welsh dragon

I think in Ched Evans case, he was equitted in a second trial after the judge allowed the introduction of evidence ahout the victims sex life. This in turn caused outrage and rightly so from womens groups. Someones sex life has no bearing on an exisitng accusation and in my oppinion was qiite an outrageous thing to do. Seems he was equitted simply because the victim had/has a sex life rather than the evidence against Ched Evans.

I thought we had gone past this sort of thing being done given it is the 21st Century, but clearly not.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice