Government set to privatise housing associations to wipe state debt and encourage building

Discussion in 'Society, Culture and Politics' started by PD, Nov 16, 2017.

1. PD

PD Retired

2. classic33

classic33 Well-Known Member

Largest landlord in this area became a charity co-oprative two years ago.

3. Jezza

Jezza Regular Member

4. kirkdale

kirkdale Regular Member

One of the most disastrous policies ever implemented in this country was the sale of social housing stock. It was used as a cynical political tool. It created a false middle class, enabling divisions within society that have never healed.
    Now replacing the much needed housing is impossible. Various initiatives will be implemented, basically passing the buck to the private sector. Ultimately, the people forced to live in sub standard accommodation, with temporary tenancies, will be called feckless and blamed for their predicament.

But don't worry, because Eddy in Essex bought his council house for twelve grand, then sold it for four hundred and fifty big ones. Nothing to see here, move along.

Uncle Mort and Jezza like this.
  5. Baron Vlad Harkonenn

Baron Vlad Harkonenn Regular Member

I always wonder why discussions never go along the lines of there being too many people rather than not enough houses?

Globally, not just here, there are far too many ooo-mans, yet it never gets discussed. Funny that. .....may have to start a thread.

Jezza likes this.
  6. Aitch

Aitch Member

Correct me if I'm wrong (and I probably am) but I understood from the original article in the Financial Times (not the rehashed hearsay in the Standard) that the idea was to reclassify housing associations for purely statistical reasons as not being part of the public sector. Most, if not all of them, are private enterprises anyway. The purpose being to increase the Chancellor's borrowing capacity, not to flog off social housing. Yep Tories fiddling the books again ("By reclassifying housing associations as private organisations, more than £60bn of debt will be removed from the state balance sheet"). As I said, correct me if I'm wrong.

7. Jezza

Jezza Regular Member

The Homes and Communities Agency oversee HAs.
    These guys..
    https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/homes-and-communities-agency
    Back in the day HMG lent direct to HAs on very favourable 60-year terms.
    These days the HAs raise money from the private sector.
    Private banks see HAs as a good bet to the sector is booming insofar as banks WANTING to lend money to HAs.
    As per this... http://www.housingexcellence.co.uk/features/finance-bonding-banks

It is lack of new-build land with suitable planning permissions that holds back HA growth.
    Very few planning authorities welcome applications for more social housing.
    Social housing is a vote-loser in the Shires. Very few electors want a 'council estate' erecting on their doorstep and they're not backwards in coming forwards and saying so. It is a brave ( foolish?) planning committee that approves any new-build social housing in its district.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
    classic33 likes this.
  8. pubrunner

pubrunner Regular Member

I agree; here in Shropshire, there are very few applications for social housing and not very many for 'starter' homes. Shropshire County Council is in very poor financial shape and the homes that they want to see built, are the ones that generate most income for the council. It might be the case, that other authorities are following a similar stance.

Sadly, developers are artificially keeping housing numbers restricted, so the prices don't drop. They obtain permission to build, put in foundations and then do nothing . . . . . . . which doesn't help the housing stock numbers. In 2014, there were over 5,000 sites with planning permission in Shropshire, that hadn't been completed. As of May 2017, this figure had more than doubled; currently, there are now over 11,000 unbuilt homes in Shropshire - for which planning permission has been granted. The developers are happy to sit on these and apply for permission on yet more sites; imo, where planning permission has been granted, houses should be completed within a specified period of time.

Jezza likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice