Great camp site required

Discussion in 'Holidays and Travel' started by pubrunner, May 16, 2018.

1. pubrunner

pubrunner Regular Member

Hi All,

About 6 years ago, I purchased a 5 berth tent, with a view to taking the family on camping trips throughout the UK; apart from trying it out in our back garden, the tent has never been used. The reason for this, is that my lovely missus is very fussy about comfort & cleanliness; however, to my great surprise, last night, she suggested that we (self, missus, son & dog) go away camping ("to see what it is like") for a few days at the end of this month.

Given the (fastidious) nature of my better half, I was wondering if anyone could suggest a campsite which has really great facilities - showers, loos . . . . . . . and hopefully, a pub nearby. If we could find such a campsite, it might encourage the missus to go on camping holidays in the future.

In terms of location, I think that she'd prefer somewhere quite close to the sea and in a more Northern(ish) county - Derbyshire, Lancashire, Yorkshire, Lincolnshire, Northumberland etc.

Is there any 'posh(ish)' campsite that you could recommend ?

2. Welsh dragon

Welsh dragon Senior Member Staff Member

Sorry Pubby. I have never spent time on that side of the country, so i cant help at all.'

3. OP
    OP
    pubrunner

pubrunner Regular Member

Well my missus (Di) has just mentioned, that we've never been to the region around Tenby, so perhaps you can suggest something ?

Welsh dragon likes this.
  4. Welsh dragon

To be honest, the last time i was there was decades ago as well. It is a very popular town, and will be packed during the summer. The pembrokeshire coast might be better. Beautiful scenery i understand. If it isn't important to go to the coast, then the Brecon Beacons is also beautiful. Lots of campsites, lovely scenery and plenty to do for the whole family. Another popular place is Barmouth which is higher up the coast. More beautiful scenery, s
    Completely safe beaches, but as always very popular especially with people from Birmingham.

Most places ars stunning and have something to offer everyone.

5. classic33

classic33 Well-Known Member

6. Highlander

Highlander Active Member

Lossiemouth, or Embo, Grannies Heiland Hame, brilliant caravan or at Dornoch campsite, nightlife family oriented nights.
    Edinburgh, a number of camp sites nightlife good.

But the best site I have had experience of, Iona, a historic centre of learning for all Europe in the 6th century, of historic significance. Eighty six kings and queens buried in Ione along with John .Smith, Labour leader who died in mysterious circumstances, to allow bLair to destroy the Labour Party.
    Iona, Destroyed by the duke of Sutherland, the same who cleared Scots off there own lands into the 1960s and 1970s . But the one and only burger van to get get a prestigious Michelin star in Tobermory, you need to try....fresh scallops and chips! Brilliant scenery, excellent camp sites.

pubrunner likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    pubrunner

pubrunner Regular Member

Ha, that was a possible, but Di wanted to go somewhere new. She's identified this campsite as her 'favourite', which means that'll be our choice. It isn't in an area that I've previously visited :

https://www.heritagecoastcampsite.com/

classic33 likes this.
  8. Welsh dragon

Never been there, but looks very nice.

9. classic33

@pubrunner, If you were to go across the sea to Ireland
    http://www.killaloecamping.com/ with this http://www.thepipersinn.ie/ nearby.

Know the owners, so a slight bias on my part.

Welsh dragon likes this.
  10. classic33

Well?
    Review would be handy you know.

11. classic33

Well?
    Review would be handy you know.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice