1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Holiday suggestions required - inc. the dog

Discussion in 'Holidays and Travel' started by pubrunner, Apr 8, 2018.

1. pubrunner

pubrunner Regular Member Staff Member

Hi All,

The missus and I are looking to go away in the Summer . . . . . . . we'll be bringing our son (14) and our Ridgeback dog. For the past 4 years, we've been up to Northumberland and it has ticked all the boxes - great beaches where dogs are allowed and not too congested with either traffic or other holidaymakers. I'd be happy to go back there again, but SWMBO would like a change and go somewhere else.

Can you suggest anywhere suitable ?

2. classic33

classic33 Well-Known Member

Ireland.

pubrunner likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    pubrunner

We've thought about that - though we are not certain about how the dog might cope on the ferry.

Southern or Northern Ireland ?

4. Welsh dragon

Welsh dragon Senior Member Staff Member

Pembrokeshire. The coast is stunning, lots to do and see. Great places to cycle or walk. Or the Brecons. Another excellent place to cycle, and places to see.

pubrunner likes this.
  5. Highlander

Highlander Regular Member

West highland way, 96 miles and if planned properly you can use the bothys. Free of charge, just replace wood used and take your rubbish with you. You can meet very interesting people from all over the world. Or there is ymca hostels which are realitively cheap. But need to be booked in advance, B&bs are extortionate. Dog must be kept on a lead as the Scottish people have been cleared off the land (known as the clearances) to allow free pasture for thousands of sheep!

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
    pubrunner likes this.
  6. Bromptonaut

Bromptonaut Rohan Man

Scotland or more particularly the Western Isles.

Harris is my personal favourite and being conjoined with Lewis there's plenty to explore without being messed up by needing ferries. The Uists and Benbecula have plenty to see too and are joined by causeways.

Barra, OTOH, for all its charms, may be a bit limiting for more than a few days.

pubrunner likes this.
  7. Highlander

Not if you like sea fishing, you can catch record fish in Barra, my own brother caught a 164lb skate. And the tail was still on the deck. Ooh and the hospitality!

8. classic33

A little over two hours on the fast ferries from Holyhead.
    Depends on how far out the way that is for you. There's always the ferries from Scotland to Northern Ireland, if they're easier access.

pubrunner likes this.
  9. Highlander

There us only one Ireland.

But the cork city or Dublin are great if your into history.

The no go area for British troops through the troubles, phenix bar in Derry! Brilliant!

St Mitchims Dublin, where the bodies of the dead do not rot, a knights templar over seven foot tall and 1000 years old, in an open coffin. Amazing.

The jails where Irish nationalists were taken out and shot, there crime being Irish! 600 years they fought English rule.

So many stories rich in culture an amazing friendly country where ever you go.

pubrunner likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    pubrunner

I'd like to have a go at that ^^^, if I can regain a decent level of fitness - https://westhighlandwayrace.org/

This year's event would be too soon for me, but perhaps next year . . .

Welsh dragon likes this.
  11. OP
    OP
    pubrunner

I've not been to Dublin, for over 40 years - I lived in N. Ireland for a few years and my younger brother was born there; however, most of our holidays were taken in places such as Galway.

Of course, an added attraction - for me, at any rate, is that I love the music of Ireland - when we had the pub, we were fortunate enough to have the likes of Paddy Glackin, Mícheál Ó Domhnaill, Mairéad Ní Mhaonaigh, Dermot Byrne, Noel Hill, Andy Irvine (and many others) come and play for us. In fact, Andy Irvine is playing in the locality this month. In the case of every musician, I've kept a signed poster from each event - worthless to anyone else, but they mean a lot to me, as they are a memento of some great evenings.

Of course, apart from being very entertaining in a musical sense, the lyrics are important, as they almost always tell of struggles and protest - they provide a strong reminder of national identity. This is music in it's purest sense - there's no need for electrical 'improvisation' - just skilful playing by fine musicians - what's not to like ?

classic33 likes this.
  12. Highlander

You never mentioned temple bar....or paddies.....and the black stuff! And good company!

West highland way.....You can do this at any time, if you race you miss everything! Red deer, Sieka deer roe deer, golden eagles, ospreys, occasionally sea eagles. We varied it from nine miles a day, to twenty three miles a day, it was only me and my mate that was knackered the children, were talking to Americans French, .German, New Zealand tourists. They even put a show on for the tourists in the Kings house.

You can take as long as you like or as slow as you like....my seven year old and eight year old could both manage, and my youngest filled his pockets with stones he liked! Which did slow him down!

If you go to milngavie and the tourist board or train station you can buy a certificate, "I've done the west highland way", you can have it time stamped, at either, and when you reach fort William, tourist board or railway station will stamp it again, the end date! Or vis versa fort to Milngavie. It's a nice memento of the walk.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  13. classic33

Oyster Festival in September
    http://galwayoysterfestival.com/index.php/festival-programme/