1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is "being drunk" ever a reasonable excuse for inappropriate sexual behaviour?

Discussion in 'Society, Culture and Politics' started by PD, Nov 10, 2017.

1. PD

PD Retired

We know that alcohol can lead to disinhibition (behaviors that are normally suppressed are displayed), but Is "being drunk" ever a reasonable excuse for inappropriate sexual behaviour?
  2. Joey Shabadoo

Joey Shabadoo Regular Member

No it's not but being drunk does seem to be used as mitigation for a variety of behaviours. So far as I'm concerned, being drunk is a self-inflicted condition.
  3. Jezza

Jezza Regular Member

It's an explanation rather than an excuse.
    Smethwick likes this.
  4. Welsh dragon

Welsh dragon Well-Known Member Staff Member

Being drunk is never under any circumstances an excuse let alone a reasonable one. If it was, then those disposed to that kind of behavior in the firsg place would try to use it to get away with harassing people and being a sexual bully or worse.
  5. mr_cellophane

mr_cellophane Regular Member

It used to be, hence the historic case being raised now.
  6. Sonic Budgie

Sonic Budgie Active Member

For inappropriate sexual behaviour read assault, and you're actually saying that being drunk used to be a reasonable excuse? Seriously?
    This shouldn't even be here as a question, there's no debate to be had.
    kirkdale likes this.
  7. mr_cellophane

mr_cellophane Regular Member

There is also the fact that what is considered inappropriate now wasn't considered as such 20-30 years ago.
  8. Sonic Budgie

By whom?
  9. Joey Shabadoo

Joey Shabadoo Regular Member

Isn't that obvious? It was acceptable to men and it's only really by strengthened women's advocacy groups that this mindset was challenged and changed.

However - I think that only applies here. I don't think the French (for example) share our views on politicians needing to be paragons of virtue.
  10. stephec

stephec Member

It's always been inappropriate, the, 'fact,' is that more people were willing to turn a blinds eye and let the criminals get away with it.
    Sonic Budgie likes this.
  11. Sonic Budgie

I think it's obvious, you, it would appear, think it's obvious. @mr_cellophane does not in his post make it clear that he thinks it's obvious. @mr_cellophane makes the statement that 20-30 years ago such behaviour was not considered inapproriate, with no caveat.
    As @stephec says,
    With regards to your statement that the mindset has been changed, if it had been, this thread would not exist, certainly not with the frankly ludicrous heading and OP it has.
  12. kirkdale

kirkdale Regular Member

I agree that this thread is bizarre. I'm willing to accept that new threads needed to be created to get the ball rolling, but this one was not the best!

Thinking of starting a new one - Is Being Mildly Pissed Off Ever An Excuse For Genocide?
    Sonic Budgie likes this.