Kettles

Discussion in 'The Tearoom' started by Pale Rider, Dec 16, 2017.

1. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Well-Known Member Staff Member

What better topic for a tea room than kettles?

My electric one conked out this morning.

It's been used most days for several years, so I suppose it hasn't done too badly.

Most of its use is to make instant coffee, which I can also do perfectly well in the microwave.

But I also use it to fill my hottie bottle at this time of year, so a replacement is required.

I'm just summoning the will to do battle with the Christmas shoppers in Argos.

Welsh dragon likes this.
  2. Bromptonaut

Bromptonaut Rohan Man

Ours is a Bosch, 3Kw fast boil job. Does what it's supposed to but quite wasteful if you always fill it.

If I just wanted cups of instant then perhaps one of these:

http://www.bosch-home.co.uk/product-list/kettles-toasters/hot-water-dispensers/THD2063GB

My mother had one as towards end of her life even a small kettle was to difficult to handle. No good for hotty bottles and even at 'boiling' not hot for tea if you're enough of a connoisseur to be bothered.

3. OP
    OP
    Pale Rider

Interesting device.

I'm no tea connisseur - PG bags is about my mark - but I have noticed tea needs just boiled water.

classic33 likes this.
  4. Welsh dragon

Welsh dragon Senior Member Staff Member

I have a Dulce Gusto that you put pods into for better coffe. Everyday i use a morphy richards kettle. Its only small as normally there is just the 2 of us. Does a decent job, and didn't cost a lot of money.

Not much good for hot water bottles, then again, i have an electric blanket so i'm not bothered.

5. Joey Shabadoo

Joey Shabadoo Regular Member

We have a Breville hot cup dispenser thingy and it's fine. We got it because the wife was finding lifting heavy kettles difficult. No good for filling hot water bottles though.

6. OP
    OP
    Pale Rider

I have electric blankets in the caravan, well, and a hot water bottle for when mummy comes to stay.

For some reason I've never bothered with an electric blanket in the house.

The conked out kettle was a Morphy Richards.

Bewildering choice of new ones, as you may imagine.

Argos own brand at about £12 look alright.

Morphys/Russell Hobbs seem to be £20 or more.

Not sure if it's worth paying the extra.

http://www.argos.co.uk/browse/home-and-garden/kitchen-electricals/kettles/c:29560/

Welsh dragon likes this.
  7. Joey Shabadoo

Joey Shabadoo Regular Member

A good point was made recently that plastic kettles impart a foul taste to water over time - this explained all the foul cups of coffee I've had over the years. Get a stainless steel kettle to avoid this.

classic33 likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    Pale Rider

That is an interesting point.

Plastic kettles should be made of food grade plastic, which should not taint even if it's brightly coloured.

However, you do read of plastic kettles that do taint.

White is the least susceptible colour.

Plastic buckets need not be food grade, but most home brewers will go for a white one for taint reasons.

9. OP
    OP
    Pale Rider

Decided to side step the taint issue by going for a twenty quid steel one.

It does look a bit smarter than the previous plastic kettle, but it's hard to get enthusiastic over it, boils water acceptably quickly, so hopefully that's job done for another few years.

P1000501.JPG

Joey Shabadoo and Welsh dragon like this.
  10. classic33

classic33 Well-Known Member

Sainsburys, I'll give it two years tops.

11. classic33

You ever noticed the build-up inside a plastic kettle? It can't stick to an all metal kettle.

12. OP
    OP
    Pale Rider

Argos - let's hope we are all still around in two years to see if you are right.

classic33 likes this.
  13. OP
    OP
    Pale Rider

Reasonably soft water around here, so stuff like kettles tends to last quite well.

I did have to descale the old one occasionally.

Be interesting to see if the steel one requires fewer treatments.

classic33 likes this.
  14. classic33

How goes the kettle?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice