Laptop batteries - replace or repair ?

Discussion in 'The Tearoom' started by pubrunner, Nov 21, 2017.

1. pubrunner

pubrunner Regular Member

Hi All,

I've an elderly laptop which has a slowly dying battery; I was just wondering, has anyone here ever repaired a laptop battery ?

This link suggests that it is possible, by replacing the 18650 lithium batteries inside the laptop battery unit :

https://www.wikihow.com/Hack-a-Dead-Laptop-Battery

I'm willing to consider such a repair, 'cos buying a good laptop battery is something of a minefield.

A Cautionary Tale

I purchased a laptop battery on Ebay from what was advertised as a 'UK - based Site' - with 'stock held' in the UK and anticipated delivery time of just two days. Sadly, it was none of these things; after about a fortnight, a battery arrived from China - but not the correct one for my laptop.

I complained to Ebay and tried to get a refund from PayPal. PayPal told me that I'd get a refund . . . . . . . but only after I'd returned the battery to China - by registered mail. However, I couldn't return the battery to China, 'cos batteries are restricted items and cannot be sent out of the country. I explained all this (to no avail) to both Ebay & PayPal, but they simply weren't interested. So if you ever find yourself having to buy a replacement battery for your laptop, be very careful where you get it from; if it comes from China, you will have a dud on your hands.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice