Making a significant purchase - which is the best method ?

Discussion in 'Money and Personal Finance' started by pubrunner, May 3, 2018.

1. pubrunner

pubrunner Regular Member Staff Member

Hi All,

In January 2016, we bought a Stoves Induction Range Cooker . . . . . . . it has turned out to be the worst purchase that we have ever made ! Induction hobs are great . . . when they work, but when things go wrong . . .

(Suffice to say, without going into the details, we are taking the retailer to the Small Claims Court)

We are now looking into buying a replacement range cooker - not one with an induction hob. The fault with the Stoves (induction) cooker, is that they have not baffled the hob sufficiently from the heat of the cooker underneath - so that the electronics in the hob become heat-damaged and stop working. We've no confidence in buying another cooker with an induction hob, so we will be going back to one with a ceramic hob. {We had a cooker with a ceramic hob for many years and it worked perfectly, without any issues}.

Anyway, to get to the point . . . we are now looking to buy another cooker and we want to 'protect' ourselves as much as possible - buying a new cooker seems to be something of a minefield; most manufacturers seem to have very poor reviews in terms of customer service.

When we purchased the Stoves cooker, we did so with a debit card; for our next cooker, would we be better making the payment with a credit card ?

2. Welsh dragon

Welsh dragon Senior Member Staff Member

I think using a credit card is good if fraud occurs. The banks will repay you. I am not sure if it will do you any good if the item simply stops working.

You might be better off taking out a seperate insurance just in case it breaks down.

It seems to me that lately just about everything, no matter what it is has bad reviews. I am looking at changing my internet providers, and some of the reviews about all providers are absolutely dire. None of them seem to be very good according to the review, and of course we have been hearing about fake reviews and people being given the products for good reviews. It all makes you think that no one can be believed.

I have been looking at independent reviewers like trust pilot (although how independent they are) is another matter.

It seems to me, you can't trust anyone, and that everything can and does go wrong. Sometimes the s***e really does just hit the fan. It always seems that it happens to me. ^_^

Good luck pubby.

classic33 and pubrunner like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    pubrunner

pubrunner Regular Member Staff Member

We use Plusnet and we've had no problems at all with them and they get a good rating in Which magazine.. We pay an extra £5 a month and get all the BT Sport channels via our Skybox - much cheaper than taking out a subscription to Sky Sports.

Welsh dragon likes this.
  4. Highlander

Highlander Regular Member

Just paid, and being installed today tomorrow, a Lincar range cooker, burns wood, and coal, ability to cook on range and oven, and heats 16 radiators, quite expensive, but bloody expensive to complete the plumbing, tanks etc....but should save me, at least £900.00 a year once installed. I have an oil boiler, put some 200 litres of oil in October, tank was cracked, had to have it replaced, but since November, I have bought £1200.00 in oil.
    Looked at the wood coal burning aga, it's now American owned, and far too small and far too costly for what it is!
    I can purchase wood, far cheaper than oil. Told I would burn about three tons a year....!
    I will let you know how I get on.

pubrunner likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice