Mixed sex wards are now at their highest level for six years

Discussion in 'Society, Culture and Politics' started by PD, Nov 16, 2017.

1. PD

PD Retired

http://press.labour.org.uk/post/167558656964/mixed-sex-wards-are-now-at-their-highest-level-for

So why is getting rid of mixed-sex wards such an article of faith? Given reasonable standards of privacy at the bedside, is there any great need to have zero tolerance of mixed-sex accommodation? Why should it be more comfortable to receive treatment or recuperate among members of the same sex?

2. classic33

classic33 Well-Known Member

Going on local policy only, "new hospital", all wards are single sex. I've been in mixed sex wards for roughly the same condition as everyone else there with no problems. Maybe its a case of trying to split the sexes on a "safety issue". But it does lead to empty beds, one bed occupied in a room where there was another eight beds. A waste of money, but seen to be tackling an issue that isn't really there.

Big Andy likes this.
  3. Jezza

Jezza Regular Member

Mixed wards make sense.
    Having two fully staffed but half-empty same-sex wards is a criminal waste.

4. Joey Shabadoo

Joey Shabadoo Regular Member

Dunno. At a time when people are at their lowest and most vulnerable it seems a bit callous to strip them of their dignity too. The men probably wouldn't mind but I can't imagine women would be happy.

5. Jezza

Jezza Regular Member

I never worked a ward where beds didn't come with curtains and men went at one end with women at the other apart from the 'obs' beds nearest the nurse's station.
    Modern hospitals tend to be ' bayed' and bays can be made gender specific.

classic33 likes this.
  6. Joey Shabadoo

Joey Shabadoo Regular Member

Seems to me the link in the OP may just be politically motivated shoot-stirring. Look for a statistic that shows a negative trend, highlight it, blame funding and then promise to fix it with more money. There's no evidence presented to say that funding and mixed-sex wards are linked and we don't even get to see the figures. It may be that there have been 500 mixed sex wards in 2014, 2015 and 2016 but in 2017 there were 501. Who knows?

Jezza likes this.
  7. Jezza

Jezza Regular Member

It's a non-story in hospitals. Anybody sick enough to be admitted tends to be more concerned about getting better rather than who is in the next bed. Unless that patient snores. Once they start grumbling about other than pain, they're generally on the mend.

8. classic33

classic33 Well-Known Member

I just want to get out, as quick as possible!

Jezza likes this.
  9. Bromptonaut

Bromptonaut Rohan Man

My Mother and I have both spent time in Orthopaedic wards in last few years. In both cases wards were mixed sex but with some bays exclusively male and others exclusively female. Curtains ensured dignity during medical examinations and while performing bodily functions. One woman had clearly lost her marbles and constantly pushed covers off and fiddled with her catheter. She was beyond caring but visitors were embarrassed!!

Only place I've seen men and women in adjoining beds was in a coronary admissions ward.

Hunt left a hostage to fortune by making a big thing of elimination of mixed sex wards. Should have learned from his Labour predecessor who was hoist by his own petard after failing to deliver a similar promise. Only natural that his failure would be used fro shoot stirring.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice