National Service

Discussion in 'Law, Order and Defence' started by Jezza, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Jezza

Jezza Regular Member

No way, ever - do our armed services want to be babysitting grumpy snowflakes.
    First time a sergeant shouted at most of 'em they'd be straight on their mobiles to social services.
    Ours is a volunteer army, navy and airforce.
    Only the best of the best get in.
    :smile:

2. classic33

classic33 Well-Known Member

Agree with the above.

However there is one way that those currently invalided out of the armed forces could continue to play a role within them. They could, if they wanted to, take on the role of instructors in something akin to National Service.

Community Service at present is just a joke, with some offenders being taken on holidays and days out, for their Community Service.

Jezza likes this.
  3. kirkdale

kirkdale Regular Member

A lot of kids where I live would not do well being conscripted, they would resent only having access to inferior firearms.

classic33 and Jezza like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Jezza

Jezza Regular Member

We had a group of young adults from the National Volunteer Service on a work camp not far away during the summer. They did a cracking job planting maram grass in the dunes. Bleddy good idea is that National Volumteer Service. Gets them out into the fresh air doing socially useful work. Talking to one of their organisers she told me that they struggle to recruit young people. Hard to generalise but from what I saw of the volunteers I thought that they were well educated middle-class kids in the main.

classic33 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice