New Catalan vote to take place.

Discussion in 'Society, Culture and Politics' started by Welsh dragon, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Welsh dragon

Welsh dragon Senior Member Staff Member

It seems that a new election is to take place today in the ongoing calamity that took place earlier in the year when it was mainly people who wanted to be free from Spain and wanted independence voted.

To say the vote was biased was an understatement in the extreme i think. It's correct that this election should take place and an estimated one million people who didn't vote the last time will now have their chance to air their view. I wonder how the vote will go this time. Some say it will be a close call.

Anyone want to bet on the outcome?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-42435684

pubrunner likes this.
  2. Big Andy

Big Andy Senior Member Staff Member

I suspect it could be very close which isnt really a good thing as we have seen with Brexit. It would be preferable for Catalonia for it to be a very clear result one way or the other. Although how Spain would take a clear vote for independence supporting parties remains to be seen.

3. OP
    OP
    Welsh dragon

I agree. As you say i wonder how the Spanish government will react if it is a clear vote for independence. That really would put the cat amongst the pigeons so to speak.

pubrunner likes this.
  4. Big Andy

Big Andy Senior Member Staff Member

While its not specifically an independence vote I am sure if there is a clear majority for independence supporting parties there will be ongoing calls for an independence referendum I suspect which i would imagine Madrid will ignore.

pubrunner and Welsh dragon like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Welsh dragon

They probably will and that would cause even more problems and unrest.

pubrunner likes this.
  6. pubrunner

pubrunner Regular Member

It is getting highly politicised, because both the EU and European Central Bank - not to mention Madrid - have a very clear interest in blocking Catalonian independence.

Welsh dragon likes this.
  7. pubrunner

pubrunner Regular Member

Oh dear, people keep giving the wrong answer.

I expect they will just tell them to have another vote until they get it correct. In the long term, our fearless ruling elite must be seriously considering abolishing all voting, as it is interfering in their master plan.

I feel sorry for Spain, as it's going to pull the country apart. This could go anywhere - very difficult to predict what the long-term outcome will be.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
  8. OP
    OP
    Welsh dragon

Oh dear. The people have voted, but will the vote be allowed to stand? Probably not. This is definitely not going to end well for anyone i think.

pubrunner likes this.
  9. mr_cellophane

mr_cellophane Regular Member

As the SNP have discovered, a vote for a political party that believes in independence does not mean a majority believe in full independence.

10. IIP

IIP Guest

so the vote went as expected, as it always has and its no were near any clearer as the pro spain group won the most votes but not the most seats, the catalans can claim victory but it is a hollow one, they are no nearer to independence than after any of the other elections.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice