Offensive jokes

Discussion in 'The Tearoom' started by Sonic Budgie, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Sonic Budgie

Sonic Budgie Active Member

Promoted by a comment in another thread where should the line be drawn when it comes to the offensiveness of jokes and who decides whether a joke is offensive or not?
    For example, if I was to post on PD what I considered to be a joke that seemed to suggest that commenting on and threatened to touch a female nurses breasts when they were going about their duties and was subsequently informed by several women and men that they found this to be offensive, should I stop and consider whether what I was posting was actually offensive or should I suggest that the people claiming offense were humourless and probably didn't get the joke anyway?
    Personally, I believe that is worth considering the feelings and views of others and if having posted such a joke I was informed that it could be considered to be in bad taste and the reasons why were explained I believe I would try to adopt some empathy and would probably at the very least ask that the joke I'd posted about sexually assaulting a nurse was removed.

2. mr_cellophane

mr_cellophane Regular Member

I think the line should be drawn on titles that promise an interesting thread, but are really just going to be another boring discussion

3. Big Andy

Big Andy Well-Known Member Staff Member

I dont think you can ever get consensus on whether a joke is offensive or not.
    What 1 person finds offensive another wont.
    Personally i dont find any jokes offensive, even ones about fat, ginger, northern lycra clad cyclists.
    Jokes can be in poor taste however, but even that is going to be subjective.

Jokes and comedy are often going to offend some people and so what? We all have a right to be offended. Surely its the intent in the telling that is important? If the intent is hate or to cause offence its less likely to be funny. Plays on words such as double entendre are very rarely delivered with the intent to offend.

pubrunner, classic33 and Nazz like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Sonic Budgie

fark off then

5. OP
    OP
    Sonic Budgie

Are you saying that if you are told by people that have personal experience of something that you are joking about that means they don't just find it unfunny but offensive and maybe even upsetting that should be ignored and the joker should carry on regardless?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  6. Big Andy

No. If I told a joke and someone told me they found it upsetting i would apologise, assure them I didnt mean to upset them and move on.

pubrunner and Nazz like this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Sonic Budgie

How does that fit with your "so what" comment above?

8. Big Andy

There is a difference in simply being offended and being upset.

pubrunner and classic33 like this.
  9. OP
    OP
    Sonic Budgie

If someone finds something you say offensive, you don't care?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  10. OP
    OP
    Sonic Budgie

And what do you mean by simply?

11. Baron Vlad Harkonenn

Baron Vlad Harkonenn Regular Member

There is no joke that is as funny as farting in church or anyhwere else for that matter.

Some will find the stinking brown cloud offensive and that just makes it even funnier.

Someone somewhere will always be offended by something and that is also funny.

12. OP
    OP
    Sonic Budgie

The more people offended the funnier it is?

13. Baron Vlad Harkonenn

When it comes to farts, oh yeh.

14. OP
    OP
    Sonic Budgie

What about sexual assault, rape, child abuse, race?

15. Baron Vlad Harkonenn

Those matters are never funny and not comparible to an eggy boff.

pubrunner likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice