Political forums

Discussion in 'The Tearoom' started by Sonic Budgie, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sonic Budgie

Sonic Budgie Active Member

What do you look for from a forum where you can chat/debate news and current afffairs?
    I like ones where people are honest with their opinions rather than hiding behind insipid comments and where if you ask a question of someone they do you the courtesy of answering rather than just ignoring you entirely.

2. Welsh dragon

Welsh dragon Senior Member Staff Member

Maybe they want just that. To be able to chat and debate. They don't want to be hounded. They don't want people to tell them to "fark off". I think they might be tired of the constant argueing and maybe the feeling that they cannot simply have a conversation with others without it turning into a battle.

People are tired of the constant bickering.

A place and way of talking about things that are of interest to them, knowing that it isn't going to be a constant battle is what most people want. I think people have senn what happens on other threads and simply do not want that.

Sometimes saying nothing and walking away is better than the alternative. Having a robust debate is one thing, but being unpleasant to someone puts everyone off. That is just my opinion of course.

Nazz, pubrunner, classic33 and 2 others like this.
  3. Joey Shabadoo

Joey Shabadoo Regular Member

Sometimes my opinions are insipid

pubrunner and Welsh dragon like this.
  4. IIP

IIP Guest

I find people become overly sensitive during threads when they are shown to be wrong, people only want it polite when everything they write or say is agreed on,
    they don't want their obvious stupidity shown up for what it is.
    saying nothing and walking away is better than the alternative, No, that's what people do when they don't have the intellect to argue their point or the intellect to know when they are wrong.

Sonic Budgie likes this.
  5. Welsh dragon

And your post is also rather aggressive to be honest, calling people stupid is neither helpful or constructive In any way.

I understand there are new rules In force regarding threads In a new area (not PD). If everyone was to abide by those rules, I am sure much more open and productive discussions would take place. However, in all honesty, I cannot see that happening.

pubrunner, classic33 and Big Andy like this.
  6. IIP

IIP Guest

only the very sensitive would find my post aggressive, its a weakness to get people to feel sorry for them rather than actually address the issue of why people cry foul when they are called out, and more open and productive discussions are what people want to see not some nonsense where people are allowed to stay stupid and ignorant and sprout wrongs with impunity.

Sonic Budgie likes this.
  7. Welsh dragon

There you go again. Not the way to inspire debate, conversation. I rest my case.

pubrunner and classic33 like this.
  8. LeeT

LeeT New Member

Looks to me like you are attacking the person and not what they are posting. In fact in the post above you talk more about the individual then what they have posted.

classic33, pubrunner and Big Andy like this.
  9. IIP

IIP Guest

and there you go again, Not the way to inspire debate, conversation. I rest my case.

Sonic Budgie likes this.
  10. IIP

IIP Guest

I'm attacking this namby pamby approach, where we can't question people who post nonsense or are allowed to post stupid stuff, allowing them to believe that they are right, life isn't all sweetness and light and neither is political discussion, allowing people to wallow in their own stupidity is neither fair nor kind.

Sonic Budgie likes this.
  11. Welsh dragon

In 3 of the 4 posts you have made, all you have done is talk about stupid people, and not allowing people to continue to be stupid, or that they are talking nonsense. That is not what the thread is about, nor it it what the OP asked.

Sorry @IIP , you have a tendency to latch onto one thing and just keep running with it. And I am quite bored now.

pubrunner, classic33 and Big Andy like this.
  12. IIP

IIP Guest

but not bored enough not to reply, that tells me a lot and this thread is about people not repling when challenged, not something I would dream of ever doing.

(edit) I feel hounded.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
    Sonic Budgie likes this.
  13. IIP

IIP Guest

you are wasting your time, too many people answer in riddles, hiding behind some bullshite response because they are too afraid to actually just say it like it is.
    they answer thinking they are smarter than you but it boils down to them not wanting to be challenged, their views are entrenched in lies and fear and they are terrified to learn that their views are lies and their fears are unfounded.

Sonic Budgie likes this.
  14. classic33

classic33 Well-Known Member

People are entitled to not have other people shoving their views/ beliefs down their throats. Some can't accept this part and continue on a narrow line. Often through fear that they'll have to look at themselves and question their own beliefs.

You want a debate, you have to be prepared to listen to all sides, with an open mind, not a closed one. Closed minds are empty, they have preset ideas. Whilst appearing to listen, will add nothing to the debate but keep on repeating the same stuff over and over. They believe it, why doesn't everyone else?

We are people with the right to voice our opinions, we have the right to be wrong. Then again, so does the next person, and the next one. You start to disrespect those rights of other people, you've lost your case before it's even had a chance to be seen

"A man changed against his will, is of the same opinion still"

15. Joey Shabadoo

Joey Shabadoo Regular Member

I think there comes a time when all the confrontational crap just gets boring. There's only really about half a dozen topics ever discussed, the rest are just variations on the same themes. There's always the same characters backing themselves into the same corners and coming out with the same tired arguments, it's boring. Any daft twat can fling abuse on an anonymous forum.

Try a different approach. You catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice