Private CCTV

Discussion in 'Society, Culture and Politics' started by classic33, Jan 19, 2018.

1. classic33

classic33 Well-Known Member

How would you deal with something like this?

Street corner house with cameras that cover their own property, but also "accidently overlook/cannot be adjusted to not" cover the area outside their property Angle of view is between the Red lines. Three cameras, mounts on the house, where the Red Lines meet. Fourth one on the drive, looking down it.

Cameras are night vision, that will automatically track any movement, day or night. It's not possible to enter or leave the street, without being caught on camera. They actually have a seperate large screen for each camera, linking to a second camera.(Split screens) All cameras record to a hard drive, twenty four hours a day, with the system accessible to them from anywhere, live.

The limiting factors are the range of the cameras and anything(building, vehicle) in the way.

CC TV.jpeg

2. Welsh dragon

Welsh dragon Senior Member Staff Member

Is it illegal to do that? I am not sure it is. I know pf a property where a person of very dubious character to say the least kept parking. The police installed a camera on the house that was the target, but other properties could be seen as well. I am not sure how i would feel about being looked at 24/ though.

3. Big Andy

Big Andy Well-Known Member Staff Member

Personally I wouldn't deal with it on the basis it's no big deal. Nothing to worry about at all.

Bromptonaut likes this.
  4. Welsh dragon

I tend to agree. If the cameras face the street, then that isn't private as anyone can see up and down the road. You are not entitled to privacy in those circumstances. If the cameras were pointed to or down into your back garden that would be a different matter. That would be an invasion of privacy.

5. OP
    OP
    classic33

classic33 Well-Known Member

I walk out the gate, then one of of the cameras will start tracking me, provided there isn't anything else moving in that cameras field of view. Walk onto the street, the system will track me almost to my door.

ccctv.jpg

Should their property come before privacy, or the law?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  6. Welsh dragon

But are they breaking the law?

7. Welsh dragon

It only says you should consider your neighbours, but nothing that says legally you can't have a camera at the front of your house.

8. Bromptonaut

Bromptonaut Rohan Man

We've had need to consider this in my road over last few months after criminals entered neighbour's house via insecure patio door,obtained keys for his Audi TT and drove it away.

Consultation around concluded that CCTV cameras on a few strategically chosen gable ends would cover main part of cul-de-sac and its access road.

CCTV generally needs to be registered with Information Commissioner. There is though a domestic use exemption for those surveilling their own curteillage. There will be some 'margin for error' their if you unavoidably/inadvertently overlook places outside your boundary. If you overlook neighbour's land their consent may be enough to keep you witihn domestic use.

Once you're surveilling adopted highway, as is case with us/neighbours, you need to register and comply with notice requirements.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
    Welsh dragon likes this.
  9. Welsh dragon

Thanks for that. I had no idea that anyone would have to do that. Useful information to have.

classic33 likes this.
  10. Sonic Budgie

Sonic Budgie Active Member

Is this an actual property that you are posting a picture of with details of where their security cameras are placed, what type of security cameras they are, the areas covered and therefore potentially not covered by the security cameras, the set up for viewing the images from the security cameras, the method used for recording and the means of accessing the images?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice