Rotten Turkeys sold by Tesco

Discussion in 'Society, Culture and Politics' started by Welsh dragon, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Welsh dragon

Welsh dragon Senior Member Staff Member

On Sky news this morning there was a news report that customers had been sold frozen turkeys that when defrosted turned out to be rotten meat. Hundreds of customers apparently had their christmas ruined by bad turkeys.

This isn't the first time that Tesco has sold bad meat. Chicken salad had to be recalled due to bad chicken.

Tesco doesn't seem to have a good track record where meat is concerned. I wonder how Tesco are going to spin the story this time, or are they going to try to sweep it under the carpet.

Clearly this won't do their reputation any good, but are big companies like Tesco immune from backlashes simply because of their name and how big they are?

2. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Active Member Staff Member

Poultry is a meat which requires careful handling.

A few Christmases ago, I ordered a mixed cooked meat platter from Marks and Spencer - the turkey was off.

Seems to me the supply chain is under pressure at this time of year.

Going by the occasional news report and what I hear, I don't think Tesco is any better - or worse - than any of the other big retailers.

As regards a backlash, I suppose they have that many customers it would take a very large number to boycott the company for it to have any impact.

Welsh dragon likes this.
  3. tyreon

tyreon Member

Tesco: Haz anyone gone to the slammer over the the Donky Meat scandal?

Wots about 'the funny accounting' therein. One minute zillions in the black,next down and in the red. Am confused.

Wots about the overpricing? Any news? Oven cleaners,bread,shoe polish...2+2+2 = 6. Get to the tills your bill becomes 8. No compris.

4. classic33

classic33 Well-Known Member

I'd put it down more to the supply chain than the supermarkets themselves. They're sat in frozen storage for months, then shipped by their thousands.

Advice is start reading the barcode.

5. Highlander

Highlander Regular Member

Tesco sets its own standards for food production. And just like the Donkey meat fiasco it's profitable to sell crap. Profits matter, and not paying tax matters, and the deceitful manner where they demand members of the public purchase more food for food banks is nothing short of hypocrisy. I buy nothing from Asda or Tesco, and never buy anything from Israel, who's produces abound in both these retail outlets.

6. Highlander

If they Tesco, Asda, Vodaphone, BT, etc, paid there just dues, I.e. Taxes just like you and me, just on the profits they make from you and me, there would be no need for food banks.....no need for your nationals going hungry, .....oooh, but you would need to vote for someone who intends to reverse the bankers dominance on the body politic.

7. OP
    OP
    Welsh dragon

Welsh dragon Senior Member Staff Member

I used to keep chickens. I did like having the eggs but to be honest they were more trouble than they were worth. They only laid for a couple or three years then stopped, then for the next 3 years we had to feed the bloomin things even though we didn't get any eggs.

Mr WD couldn't kill the dam things so they ended up as just pets until they died. If people arn't prepared to go down the breed your own and kill and eat them road, you don't have much choice really. Organic and free range chickens are a huge cost. The supermarkets have everyone by the short and curlies.

8. Highlander

I have dorking chickens, heritage Turkeys and ducks. Breeding them to sell them or for eggs. I did have Rhode Island reds, they used to jump up onto my shoulders, and just sit. I was telling a doctor, I knew, about them, when she asked, did I show them, I replied, no, kill them at eat them. She was horrified. After two years, chickens they are only fit for the pot. But, if your willing to do the business, the taste, the meal, is worth while. And worth every hassle.

Welsh dragon likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice