1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

She wants jam on it

Discussion in 'Law, Order and Defence' started by Pale Rider, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Active Member Staff Member

Lavinia Woodward the Oxford student who most believe was fortunate not to go straight to prison for stabbing her boyfriend wants to appeal.

One might have thought Ms Woodward, having got what was on any view a lenient sentence, would realise her good fortune, say nowt, and certainly not press the matter any further.

It appears she is appealing the sentence, not the conviction, which in any event was secured by her plea of guilty.

She has paused her studies for the duration of the sentence, so it's hard to see what she has to gain from the appeal, other than a swifter return to university.

For her sake, I hope she has been advised that all bets are off at an appeal.

If it goes ahead, the judges effectively re-sentence.

This means they can sometimes decide to increase the sentence, not reduce it.

2. IIP

IIP Guest

yes its clearly a ploy to be able to return to university sooner rather than later and continue as a medical student but the conviction will rule her out studying medicine.
    at the court case her legal team invited the court to consider imposing a conditional discharge, which is a much lesser offence than the suspended sentence, in the sense that a conditional discharge after the probation period is complete, the incident will be removed from the individual’s criminal record.
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  3. Welsh dragon

Welsh dragon Well-Known Member Staff Member

Some people clearly don't know when to keep their mouthes firmly shut it seems.
  4. tyreon

tyreon Member

Pick the right judge(s) and it's amazing what can happen.

The pomposity of the British judicial system oftentimes amazes.
    classic33 likes this.
  5. Bromptonaut

Bromptonaut Rohan Man

If it was't for fact that she/family can afford top notch counsel she'd be going nowhere; I don't think an appeal would pass the merit test for legal aid. Not entirely clear what she hopes to achieve either.

OTOH there's a slight oddity in the sentencing remarks ( https://www.judiciary.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/sentencing-remarks-r-v-lavinia-woodward.pdf ) in the Judge Pringle refers to her 'drug alcohol addiction as mitigating factor but then quotes fact that she was, in terms drunk and should have known better, as aggravating. .
  6. Bromptonaut

Bromptonaut Rohan Man

And how will she pick the judges?
  7. IIP

IIP Guest

I think its to have the suspended sentence change to a conditional discharge, (see my post above)
  8. Bromptonaut

Bromptonaut Rohan Man

You may well be right.
  9. tyreon

tyreon Member

The right judge,the right sentence:

Remember the London burning riots and the looting? Wottahoot that some black kid got sent to the slammer for 3 months for buying a pair o trainers from a friend who(it was alleged)had robbed a shop. Classic! Thatsthewaytodit!says Punch to Judy. Ah,the good olde days when you went to Borstal for petty crime but someone from the right background with the correct defense rep woz let free cos it was just japes-and-stuff. Him of the smashing up restaurants fame,or maybe assaulting some working class xxxx

And was it Joe Orton who went to the slammer for 3 for defacing 6 library books! British Justice: ya can't beat it,can ya?
  10. Roger_the_Lodger

Roger_the_Lodger Regular Member

Will she still face disciplinary charges at the university if she gets a conditional discharge?
  11. OP
    Pale Rider

Pale Rider Active Member Staff Member

I would think so, the offence remains the same, so the university will still want to have a stewards' inquiry about one of their number stabbing someone in the leg.

The suspended sentence looks merciful, to put it kindly, so trying to get a conditional discharge might be flying the kite too high.

First stage of the appeal process is it goes before a single judge who decides if the case is worth a full hearing.
  12. Roger_the_Lodger

Roger_the_Lodger Regular Member

Then I cannot see what she has to gain, unless having the conditional discharge instead of a suspended sentence will not prevent her from doing something else she wants to do in the future,