Should cannabis and other drugs be legalised in the UK? What about for medicinal and research use?

Discussion in 'Law, Order and Defence' started by PD, Nov 16, 2017.

1. PD

PD Retired

Do you think cannabis and other drugs be legalised in the UK?

2. Big Andy

Big Andy Well-Known Member Staff Member

Only for medical reasons and if prescribed by doctors.

3. Baron Vlad Harkonenn

Baron Vlad Harkonenn Regular Member

Yes, drug use how now got the point where it is unstoppable.

Legalise and tax it. I'm sure it would generate enough dosh to solve many problems.

Sea of vapours likes this.
  4. IIP

IIP Guest

No, if people are messed up now, can you image if there were no limits.

5. kirkdale

kirkdale Regular Member

Drug taking should be decriminalised. Prohibition has failed spectacularly.
    Addicts, who have access to clean, safe substances, without the need to line the huge pockets of organised crime, can be targeted for harm reduction treatment. Crime figures and anti social behaviour will improve. Exploitation of vulnerable people will be curtailed.

Millions of people have no addiction issues, yet take recreational drugs without coming to any harm. Removing this huge industry from the hands of the cartels and organised crime syndicates, paying the poor people (growers etc) a fair price for their efforts, supplying a safe a product as possible, and getting the tax revenue makes sense.

Fair trade coke and weed? Sounds crazy, but not as crazy as "the war on drugs."

6. classic33

classic33 Well-Known Member

Having been on Class A, B & still taking Class C drugs all my life. I've had people offer to buy them off me. Be easy enough just say they were lost, then get some more. Currently have unused Class B's in the the house, no longer required and they can't be returned. Do I chuck them in the bin, flush them down the toilet or do I decide to earn a little extra. Street price for one is £50 - £75, I've 400 of them. I can't even give them away, nor will I.

How many prescription medications are being taken by the wrong people?

7. kirkdale

kirkdale Regular Member

I'm assuming that being jailed for supplying would not welcome. Worse, regardless of whether you sold or gave them away, you could be charged with manslaughter if someone dies.
    There is a huge market for prescription drugs. Many people, following injury or surgery, get hooked. The prescription eventually reduces and stops, they then turn to the black market for supply. There is a big problem of counterfeit prescription medication to feed the trade.

8. Jezza

Jezza Regular Member

That 'medical marijuana' seems to be very popular where available.
    Presumably if it ever arrives here in Blighty it will be on prescription and free to those who don't pay the prescription charge.
    I read this week that when he visited Prohibition era USA Winston Churchill took a prescription for medical alcohol allowing him his daily tipples whilst he was there.
    Seems like a plan. If the stoners can get their Jamaican Dancing Baccy on free-prescription then fairness decrees that those of us who enjoy a therapeutic single-malt can do likewise.

classic33 likes this.
  9. classic33

classic33 Well-Known Member

How do you trace who gave who them? Once the outer packing(card box) is gone there's no way of saying whose they were.

If I were to put them in a bin bag with the rest of the rubbish, there ends my responsibility. Bags have a habit of bursting/splitting, leaving their contents on the floor, where anyone could pick them up. But as I said I'm stuck with them, now with no reason for them, but they are in my name where they are.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice