Should capital punishment be reintroduced in the UK?

Discussion in 'Law, Order and Defence' started by DarkMist, Dec 4, 2017.

?

Should capital punishment be reintroduced in the UK?

1. Yes

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. DarkMist

DarkMist Guest

Reintroduction of the death penalty has been widely debated. Would it help with prison overcrowding? Would it deter criminals? What if someone is later proved innocent? Are you for or against?

2. IIP

IIP Guest

countries with the death penalty still have crime, and kill innocent people, I can think of 10 people minimum who would have been murdered if the death penalty had been still allowed here.

3. IIP

IIP Guest

to even consider it as a viable option to reducing the prison population we'd have to widen what constitutes a capital crime.

4. Big Andy

Big Andy Senior Member Staff Member

A real difficult one this. Some criminals are just so evil it can be hard to justify keeping them alive.
    However the spectre of wrongful conviction has to be considered too.

Wouldnt help with Prison overcrowding at all.

Jezza likes this.
  5. Bromptonaut

Bromptonaut Rohan Man

I thin it was the hangman Albert Pierrepoint who wrote that every man hanged knew the penalty but still did the crime.

Puts the deterrence point into perspective. And that's before wrongful convictions which would have been well into double figures for high profile Irish cases alone.

6. Big Andy

Big Andy Senior Member Staff Member

I certianly dont believe there is any deterrent effect as Im not sure many criminals think they will be caught.

classic33 likes this.
  7. Roger_the_Lodger

Roger_the_Lodger Regular Member

But think of the cost saving of those that do

8. Sonic Budgie

Sonic Budgie Active Member

Kill 'em all, we'd save a fortune.

9. IIP

IIP Guest

the cost would be minimal as prisons don't have that many who would be facing a death sentence.

10. Jezza

Jezza Regular Member

Executed felons tend not to re-offend.

11. Sonic Budgie

Sonic Budgie Active Member

Executed innocents never have a chance to offend in the first place, win win.

Bromptonaut and IIP like this.
  12. IIP

IIP Guest

nor will the innocent be able to do anything else, do people never tire of ignoring the obvious.

Sonic Budgie likes this.
  13. Baron Vlad Harkonenn

Baron Vlad Harkonenn Regular Member

If you were an innocent, I don't know what would be worse, being killed by the state or being locked up for life by the state having every day to think about the injustice you are suffering.

But as we all know, life does not mean life when it comes to prison, unless you are a proper nutter, in which case the possibility of execution wouldn't matter.

This is an extremely difficult and emotive subject. The answer has to be yes, but only in the most extreme and undoutable cases.

14. IIP

IIP Guest

the Birmingham 6 and the Guildford 4 to name 10 were undoutable cases.

15. Baron Vlad Harkonenn

Baron Vlad Harkonenn Regular Member

I agree and that is why this is so difficult.

How about;

Peter Sutcliff
    Ian Huntley
    The Lee Rigby killers

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice