Should Disabilities Be Open For "Jokes"?

Discussion in 'Society, Culture and Politics' started by classic33, Mar 7, 2018.

1. classic33

classic33 Well-Known Member

Starting a new thread in an attempt not to derail, any further, another.
    The Equalities Act 2010, brought previous legislation covering race, creed, sex, age and disability, under the one act.

Whilst many think the first four are no go areas. There's an unseen line that can't be crossed without being classed as racist, sexist or ageist. Why do some still feel that it's okay to make a comment about a disability that they wouldn't make about any of the others. Often they'll be the first to jump, shouting about how someone can't say that. So why are disabilities not given the same treatment?

This is what started this thread
    The piece that replaced the Disability Discrimination Act 1995, The Equalities Act 2010
    2010.jpg
    The Section within The Equalities Act 2010
    Section 26.jpg

I'm aware that there are some reading this that are of the belief that this is all fantasy, on my behalf. For those, a challenge for you to take up. Just tick one box on any insurance form that asks do you suffer from fits/seizures or blackouts.

I'd not wish the first on anyone. Maybe making them live a month as though they did may just change their views of the condition, but the actual condition, never.

2. Welsh dragon

Welsh dragon Senior Member Staff Member

Sorry classic, but i am not sure the above are no go areas. People do make jokes about other peoples race and some parts of peoples creed, sex and age can also be a joke, and i am often the butt of one persons jokes elswhere about my age ( i do not have a problem with that) as i give as good as i get as you know. As far as disabilty is concerned i have not heard of jokes being made.

Suffering from epilepsy is seriously not funny and not something that should be laughed about or turned into a joke by anyone. Nor should derogatory comments he made to or about anyone.

If anyone is making offensive comments, or making jokes at you or someone elses expense that is something that we as mods will take very seriously.

classic33 likes this.
  3. Bromptonaut

Bromptonaut Rohan Man

Jokes are one thing. I'd not want to see disability barred as a subject for humour; some of the funniest stuff I've ever heard is self deprecating humour from people narrating their own experience in a wheelchair, mental health service user etc.

OTOH Highlander's comments above, IMHO, cross a line. Reference to recreational drugs is borderline offensive - like 'are you pissed' it requires a context not present here. Even if he didn't know Classic's history (and I doubt that), saying same about prescription drugs is out of order.

classic33 likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    classic33

I get the comments everyday, not just online. I've always considered myself to be one of the lucky ones, with regards epilepsy. Born with it and never known any other way, still able to do things. Said to my face, I'm probably like you, give as good as I get.

My way of dealing with the two mentioned, epilepsy and cancer, has always to be open about them. In one workplace I was asked not to mention it as I was scaring those around me. Being honest & open and saying that I "had it".

Disabilities don't seem to get the same level of protection as race, creed, sex or age. Despite the laws being there, on the books, for just over 22 years.

@Bromptonaut, take a look at "Odd Things That Have Happened To you", for what I think may be along the lines of what you are thinking of. If not I apologise now.

5. Big Andy

Big Andy Well-Known Member Staff Member

In general when it comes to comedy/humour/jokes I'm not sure anything should be off limits, putting subjects off limits to comedy is an early step down the road to having "thought police". However context and manner of delivery play a very important role and without care it can simply be nasty which is where the problems lie.

In this particular instance where Highlander said
    I don't think he was making jokes about any sort of disability, it was Highlanders normal feeble attempts at an insulting comment because yet again someone happens not to disagree with his wacky point of view. (He has had a couple of subtle warnings about his posting style so far, hopefully he will take them onboard and we won't have to be more direct with them)

The equality act isn't the best piece of legislation in the world, @classic33 has actually hit on the big problem with it.

If the line is unseen (which it very much is) how is anyone supposed to know when they have crossed it?

So in brief, with care any subject should be open to humour, Highlander wasn't making a joke about disability and with the greatest of respect @classic33 I think you may have been a bit overly sensitive on this occasion. Still its a very good topic for discussion.

classic33 likes this.
  6. Big Andy

BTW jokes about portly ginger yorkshire gents are completely off limits!!! ^_^^_^^_^^_^

(only joking, fire away!)

Welsh dragon likes this.
  7. Welsh dragon

Welsh dragon Senior Member Staff Member

You are a ginger? That explans a lot then :laugh:.

8. Big Andy

Ginger and proud, (although not full carrot top), Yorkshire and proud, Portly and doing something about it. :laugh:

Welsh dragon likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    classic33

That's okay then, Im just under 15 stone.

Welsh dragon likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    classic33

I'm not one for the "thought police" and I aimed to stop the insults early on. The "I didn't know" line can't be used from this point on.

It's not so much about being off limits entirely, on any of those mentioned. More about the unseen line that's there for all of them, cross it and you're instantly classed a racist, sexist, or phobic. Where is that line, and who sets it. Disabilities seem to be the last one on the list, considered as not very important.

To go the other way, people thinking I was making fun of someone in a wheelchair. I asked one of those walking with him if he could stop using the basketball. He was too busy with the ball to notice me. Rounded on by all his mates, who came to his defence, but he recognised me as having tried to play against him at wheelchair basketball, asking if I still tried playing.

11. Big Andy

Lightweight!! :okay:

classic33 likes this.
  12. Highlander

Highlander Regular Member

I think my reply clearly stated there was no intended ridicule of any disability. But it's a convenient tool when you have lost the argument and have nothing to say. But then, you cannot defend yourself from historical fact, or by propaganda. So go for a sympathy vote.

13. OP
    OP
    classic33

Nothing of the sort. It's my standard approach when someone attempts to make a joke. I'll bring the disability out into the open, make it known that there is a disabilty. From that point forward, it becomes impossible for the other person to make a "joke" about it, saying I wasn't aware, or in your case "Mmm..... if so,". Whether you believe it to be true or not, doesn't matter. There are those that do know it to be true.

You see it as an excuse for you to use, I've never used it as excuse, for anything. Reason for not doing something, yes, because If I were to do "it", it'd be me breaking the law. Usually driving.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice