1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should self employed workers pay less NI than those on PAYE?

Discussion in 'Money and Personal Finance' started by Jezza, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Jezza

Jezza Regular Member

Time was you bought a weekly self employed stamp down the Post Office, stuck it on a special card and handed the full card in to the DHSS office at the end of each financial year.
    You queued up with claimants and all sorts to hand it in and be issued with your next blank card.
    One year a chap jumped the queue in front of me, DSS chap in the box saw him off and says to him...
    "If that gentleman doesn't pay in then there will be no money for you to draw out."
    Anybody working for themself needs as many breaks as they can get.

2. Bromptonaut

Bromptonaut Rohan Man

If the self employed stamp gets same benefits as employee then cost to SE should be same (though that ignores the Employers Cont).

If less benefit then lower cost.

3. Highlander

Highlander Regular Member

We need to have an equitable system, where we pay tax share as a part of a stable society. Tesco, vodaphone, pay none. In fact Starbucks offered to pay £10 million, they felt so guilty. A self employed person can earn approximately £87000.00 before needing to pay tax....is this equitable?
    I know of a bus company, who bankrupted another bus company, bought over the company debts and assets provided they dropped court action. The tuped over all the drivers, but instead of the status quo of wages terms and condition, they changed them. The union eventually took them to the industrial tribunal, where the owner of both businesses had to pay the princely sum of one and a quarter million pounds in back pay. The owner wanted his employees to face poverty, and his greed was his downfall. We all have a responsibility and duty to those we work for and well as viz versa. The investor of capital, isn't a dictator. He/she has a right to a return, but not at the cost of society and its wellbeing.

4. Highlander

And government could and should resolve the inequality and the redistribution of wealth.

The usurper could pay death dues.....that alone would fix the deficit facing England.

5. Big Andy

Big Andy Well-Known Member Staff Member

"nd time you have claimed Tesco do not pay any tax, it is simply untrue. When you post such obvious untruths it undermines anything else you may say.

classic33 likes this.
  6. Highlander

I have posted previously a government select committee report.

I have access to more pertinate information, which too reinforces my submission.

Tesco, regardless of Andy or his opinion, pays no tax on its profits as its head office is in the Cayman Islands, and is a foreign company. By Westminster and revenue laws. Please feel free to check with your taxation accountant.

There is no point Andy, repeating yourself, when you don't have access to the facts. This undermine the veracity of your repeated statements.

7. classic33

classic33 Well-Known Member

"The Guardian claimed that Tesco had developed a complex taxation structure involving offshore bank accounts in the tax haven of the Cayman Islands. Tesco was in the process of selling its UK stores, worth an estimated £6 billion, to Cayman Island based companies set up by Tesco. These companies then lease the stores back to Tesco. At the time, The Guardian claimed that this arrangement would enable Tesco to avoid an estimated £1 billion tax on profits from the property sales, and also to avoid paying any tax on continuing operation of the stores, as the rate of corporation tax in the Cayman Islands is zero."

The Guardian apologised for its story, acknowledging "These damaging allegations were unfounded and should not have been published."

The Guardian's parent company, Guardian Media Group, used a similar offshore arrangement to avoid tax during its takeover of Emap.

Pot, kettle, black, springs to mind.
    Loophole closed in 2008 by the way.

8. Highlander

Wrong, but no point farting against thunder.
    This is dated 2014.
    https://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/oct/29/serious-fraud-office-investigate-tesco

But again, I'm not talking about the corruption, I'm alluding to legislation PASSED by Westminster allowing them to avoid paying tax. That's a whole new ball game, and rotten to the core! Corruption, you pay tax, I pay tax, why should these parasites not? One vote one man, paying just dues, laws for everyone, so society flourishes... sorry, silly me, you lot are tories.
    Oooh....and there is much more Tesco corruption.....but I don't suppose your rose tinted glasses or removal of blinkers would allow you to see what's straight in front of you.....

9. classic33

Given the loophole was closed in 2008, produce your evidence for the statement made by yourself, about the head office in the Caman Isles.

Then maybe you can explain exactly what it has to do with the thread.

10. Highlander

May I point out....as obviously it's gone over your head, that the corruption and tax avoidance is ongoing, with Tesco etc!

Taxation is for all, the system should be but is not fair, regardless of paye or NI, you have to pay more than you need to because the system has been skewed to allow its corruption.
    It's the elephant in the room.....grassic33 likes to avoid, like the Cayman Islands connection etc.

11. classic33

Provide the direct evidence, you have stated as having, that links Tesco with PAYE and the fact that their head office is where you claimed.
    I'll say you can't, other than third hand newspaper stories.

12. Highlander

Aye.....I understand my NSA friend, but I am not in international traveller, well not now, and don't have the accoutrements that you obviously have, I have to rely on my intelligence and multiple newspapers, media, news agencies, which have some proven credence, integrity and truthfulness which obviously you avoid.

I'm too long in the tooth to be fed keich!

But you could always commit yourself to the written word, put up, or shut up!

13. classic33

Evaisive as ever when asked a simple question. You stated you had it, and were working from it. Now you don't want to prove it.
    No suprise there.

Bromptonaut likes this.