Should you have the right to die on your terms?

Discussion in 'Law, Order and Defence' started by Welsh dragon, Mar 21, 2018.

1. Welsh dragon

Welsh dragon Senior Member Staff Member

I could put this story under Law, Culture, health or any number of individual sub sections, but in the end I chose law.

Guernsey is going to vote on whether or not to allow people to die in manner they choose, and at a time of their choosing where a patient is terminally ill and has less than 6 months left to live. Guernsey apparently has the right to make it's own laws, but parliament would have to agree to it as well.

Are you in favour of a person having the right to end their own life if they choose to?

Personally i am. A friend of mine had to watch her dad die form MS. It was a slow, painful, agonising death and greatly effected the entire family.

As far as i am concerned, it is my right to choose when and how to die if i were to suffer from terminal illness and not a Dr's decission.

Every day in hospitals patients are allowed to die, it is just kept in the background, not talked about. I have first hand experience of this practise.

I would not want to linger for weeks on end and die a painful death where suffering was the last memory that i had.

Do you believe in being able to decide when your life should come to an end in certain circumstances?

https://www.theguardian.com/society...-to-vote-on-proposals-to-allow-assisted-dying

2. Big Andy

Big Andy Senior Member Staff Member

My instinct is to say yes, however the safeguards need to be thorough and well defined.

Welsh dragon likes this.
  3. classic33

classic33 Well-Known Member

I was asked to provide the local heath authority with a "living will" to cover treatment after surgery. How I wanted to be treated, when they could turn the machines off, when to stop trying to keep me alive. Completed on my own, telling no-one, including family. But it was rejected because I'd completed the letter myself, no legal help(No solicitor to back up what was written, I felt) and I might not have fully understood what the implications may be. Implications for me or them, was my thought.

If the surgery had gone ahead, there'd have been a high risk it'd have left me worse off than before. It wouldn't have been "classed as a failure, just surgery with a negative outcome". 24 hour care for the rest of my "life". Possibly unaware of what was going on around me. Life that's not a life, in my view anyway. End it when, if after the period for knowing if it was successful or not would be known/expected to be known. Still got the letter on computer, more as proof that I was asked to do it, than anything else.

Welsh dragon likes this.
  4. Highlander

Highlander Active Member

I think before anyone decides anything, one should look at what's happening now!
    The NHS care pathway, another name for cost effective killings. Supposedly stopped, but it should never of happened in the first place. DNR, without consent.
    The historical data from Sweden, and digitas. Two thirds of people who partake in the ritual, has nothing physically wrong with them. And according to police, needs to be investigated.
    The investigation and stealing of body parts on the transplant market. The taking of human organs for transplant from Israeli jails and from innocent Palestinian prisoners. Found out after the body is given back to the parents!
    The stealing of babies and aborted foetus to steal stem cells, for the uk and USA cosmetic industry.
    Those that are declared brain dead by doctors brain stem criteria, are not necessary brain dead. An experiment to 104 "dead" patients kept alive with machinery instead of switching off the machines as would happen in those in a permanent vegetative state, were kept on support, three made a full recovery, four made a partial recovery.
    Those in America, who cannot afford drugs to treat disease, die, they could survive, but they have no NHS.
    Hey neither do you, the 2012 Tory legislation allowed the selling off of English, Irish and Welsh NHS facilities.
    But I still think all the nations of these Islands deserve better than being forced to see there loved ones suffer, by English voters. You might think it's good enough for your nation, but our forefathers fought two world wars to leave us this legacy. For you lot to give it away through selfishness and fear, We don't want to go back to 1920's where under the tories, like pedophile Churchill, (according to his sandhurst officer appraisal) and people of that ilke, let people, sons and daughters died for the lack of money or from corruption instigated by the Westminster government.

5. OP
    OP
    Welsh dragon

And back to the question, not conspiracies, do you think you should be able to decide when you die if you have 6 months or less to live?

classic33 and Big Andy like this.
  6. Big Andy

Big Andy Senior Member Staff Member

None of which is remotely connected to the question which was

Do you believe in being able to decide when your life should come to an end in certain circumstances?

classic33 and Welsh dragon like this.
  7. classic33

Where'd the six month figure come from?

8. OP
    OP
    Welsh dragon

From the story itself. It quoted that Guernsey might vote for yes to allowing people the right to die, if they had a terminal illness and 6 months or less to live.

9. OP
    OP
    Welsh dragon

Second paragraph down

Screenshot_2018-03-22-18-37-53.png

classic33 likes this.
  10. classic33

Going sideways, slightly, should that include people who are given the choice of treatment for the condition/illness, but the cure is worse than the condition/illness?

Meaning, in this case, you're bed bound, unaware of what is going on around you & possibly being kept alive by machine.

11. Highlander

Highlander Active Member

The point being, it's not you even now has the decision to end your life even though, the doctors treating a terminally ill person, could tell you within hours when they will die!

You cannot take one small bite and make a decision on a crumb lying next to the table. You cannot be half dead!

12. Highlander

Highlander Active Member

The important part is consultation, they sold off your NHS and you haven't a clue! That's Tory consultation!

They have just stopped financial assistance by default of care in the community and forcing every single person in England to sell everything if they become ill.....your tories just made most of England councils bankrupt, and will not finance old folks care.....did you notice the "consultation"! It's like shooting fish in a barrel! How low do you lot need to be taken before you get off your knees and defend the defenceless? Of YOUR OWN NATION?

13. Highlander

Highlander Active Member

Honestly, your people deserve better.

14. Highlander

Highlander Active Member

• Simply unacceptable post. Even after a number of warnings.
    Mmmm..... after due diligence, and deep thought, without doubt, and without any illness, I would suggest you were put down, just because of your inhumanity, bias and selfishness to your own nation.

15. classic33

You missed the piece about the cure being worse than the condition/illness.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice