Snouts in the trough

Discussion in 'Society, Culture and Politics' started by Pale Rider, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Active Member Staff Member

I see a university vice-chancellor is to 'step down' after it finally dawned on someone a salary of close to half a million a year was a bit much for attending a few meetings.

But of course, Dame Prof Glynis Breakwell cannot simply be shown the door.

She steps down next summer, then takes a sabbatical, thereby keeping herself on full pay until sometime in 2019.

Oh, and a £31,000 car loan will be 'written off', so she gets to keep that brand new Beemer.

I don't blame Glynis, she is a greedy woman who is going to fill her boots with every bit of largesse being offered.

The fault lies with weak minded managers who couldn't give a stuff because it's public money.

Make them pay for their expensive functionaries out of their own pockets and they would be singing a very different tune.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-42152743

ozboz and Welsh dragon like this.
  2. tyreon

tyreon Member

Alas,there's another one being cited today: some chap down at Southampton. And this is how it goes. Modestesty,self effacement,duty and purpose have all been shown the door. Those philosophers of old that extolled higher principles with better learning have been dumped: take the spondoolies,the robes and the chauffeur. Their greed knows no bounds,it cannot be statiated.
    I am always amazed at the time the media allow those above to develop their arguments for 'a balanced argument' . By the time you've listened to them you feel like throwing them a fiver. My guess is that the 'ignorant public' aren't so ill educated as to be upset by all this,hence the growing resentment and anger that is slowly simmering 'out there'. Would that the greed be addressed and held to account. Not so

3. Welsh dragon

Welsh dragon Senior Member Staff Member

I am all for paying people what they are worth but that is bordering on the ridiculous and it is only when someone spills the beans that this sort of nonsense is exposed.

How someone can possibly be worth that kind of money is beyond me.

4. tyreon

tyreon Member

New's t'other day about Southampton and their greed at the top

On R4 Today and in the paper. On radio, some advanced the argument we shouldn't get outraged. It was "too simple". As in yeh....

As I see the huddled working masses scrabling over crumbs to secure zero hours jobs me wonders why a more equitable solution could not be found to make the playing field more equal: each job commanding a salary over £100k having to advertise itself worldwide for suitable applicants. Suitable candidates found,a dutch auction would then take place to secure the job. The job would also be subject to a short term contract being made. This would make it similar or equal to the working conditions of the plebs over here.

FWIW I do know of some very well educated Bulgarian and Romanian professors in various fields who can speak and write fluent English and would do the work of our well-paid folk for one third of the cost paid by us now.

I am asking, would you object to the BBC or other well-paid officials being replaced by Chinese or Romanian folk? Plumbers and mechanics are being replaced by overseas folk dumbing down wages. Why not the top toffs? Wotsabout a even playing field folks. And at the same time,if those above earning,say £100k,tell that they can earn more abroad...please leave(alas,I think you will find you're not so unique)

5. tyreon

tyreon Member

Apologies for the somewhat unintelligible tirade. Getting excited!

My savings: Matt Baker BBC. £500k. Romanian replacement(equally as good)£70k

Bath University Chancellor £500k. Indian replacement £69k

Thoughts?

6. Roger_the_Lodger

Roger_the_Lodger Regular Member

I take your point but where do you stop, do you cap footballers, singer, comedians, actors, R4 presenters, lawyers, barristers, accounts, not saying you are wrong, just where do you draw the line, to pick on somebody who we as the 'public' pay John Humphrey's from the Today programme, earns £400K+ I think it is, should he? I know this is slightly off subject but is tenuously linked.

7. OP
    OP
    Pale Rider

Pale Rider Active Member Staff Member

People drawing large amounts of public - in the broad sense - money is on topic, so the likes of Humphreys qualifies.

I suppose it's easier to see what he does, and most people would agree he is a skilled and talented broadcaster.

The roles of the university chancellors and vice-chancellors are harder to assess, but I will take some convincing they are worth nearly ten grand a week.

Welsh dragon likes this.
  8. Roger_the_Lodger

Roger_the_Lodger Regular Member

Mmmm although I agree £10k a week is a lot in fact an obscene amount, (although I wouldn't turn it down), but some of these university turnover £500,000 a year (total guesstimate), they do have huge financial responsibilities, whereas Mr Humphreys yes, is very skilled, but what can be the consequence of him asking the wrong question?

9. Nazz

Nazz Member

Kids are walking out of uni with debts of £50k or more facing an obscene interest rate of 6%.

The amount some of the vice chancellors are getting is horrendous.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  10. tyreon

tyreon Member

The UK according to Tyreon is becoming like its younger,brasher brother: USA. Greater financial disparity. Getting pretty ugly,me thinks. I don't like it.

It's only my shorthand.

From my travels and life experiences,reading and wotnot...I reckon I could cut(labour) costs at the top by 50% minimum. GB doesn't have a monopoly on brainpower or other rated 5 star labour. The lower order(s) wages and living conditions are being eroded by successive waves of immigration(competition,if you like) By any account there are untold numbers of very well educated people living in Poland,Bulgaria,Romania and the like. Why not have these people over here to compete for jobs,say,over £100k. Let's even the playing field. We cannot say an Admiral over in India is less capable than one over here. Tyeron says,let the Admiral from Delhi replace the one from London. I reckon s/he would do the job for one third of the price. Let them compete for the job given they meet the jobs criteria. Winner takes the lowest salary.

On Indian intellect and labour costs,I see India are churning out PhDs by the bucket load. Look into their classrooms. (Well done lads) Very bright people over there...and millions of them. And millions of Chinese. Well,white-man-van has to compete with foreign labour low wage costs hereabouts,wotsabout academia,policing,military,the media, having to compete just the same as WMV? The foreign man,the intellectual,all speak English now. No problems. I say,advertise the jobs over £100k worldwide(certainly EU wide),and let's have 500,say,going for every job over £500k.

BTW remember(was it?)Max Headroom(or something like that). The Robot. Replace newsreaders with a robots head. Where's the difference? Another £400k saved.

Alas,I would like to go on to develop my argument(s),but it could be drivel. Or(thinkabout it)not so crackpot. Then I'd want a job,£100k would suit me.

11. tyreon

tyreon Member

Apologies: '....going for every job over £100k'

12. Jezza

Jezza Regular Member

Senior management in Higher Education has always been a lucrative job.
    Chancellors can pretty much write their own tickets because they tend to have stuffed whatever the university executive-management committee is called, with their chums.
    First job for every new chancellor is rejigging the top team.
    One chap I worked under had his missus and both daughters in super-senior faculty-admin jobs within six-months of him starting.
    Fair play, they did a good enough job but everybody knew how they'd landed the gigs.

13. tyreon

tyreon Member

Jezza: Punch(and Judy)say: "That's the way to do it"

The cojones of the top! The brass neck...

The Establishment: How they get away with it. I really must get round to reading the book by Owen Jones.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice