So what does everyone do for employment?

Discussion in 'Work and Volunteering' started by Big Andy, Feb 18, 2018.

1. Big Andy

Big Andy Senior Member Staff Member

For 20 years i had my own business selleing and servicing POS systems but 6 years ago I needed a change a d managed to get a job as the club support officer for the British Model Flying Association. It wont make me rich but its varied, fulfilling and enjoyable which is much better.

2. Welsh dragon

Welsh dragon Senior Member Staff Member

I worked for an Insurance Company as an underwriter and manager. It was a job i really enjoyed and the people were fantastic. I also went temping for a while. I was lucky enough to be able to stop working some time ago.

3. classic33

classic33 Well-Known Member

Unemployed at present. Having to put epilepsy on any job application has never made it easy.

Last job, shop work. Told I'd not last long & ended up being finished for refusing to serve a person who'd assaulted me at work(He made a complaint) one month before the company went bust. The owners and the manager who I thought I could trust took his word against mine, despite having been to court over the assault.

Been a welder, machine setter, machine operator, baggage handler(Unsociable hours meant the bike was the only way there), lost due to a company take over. New owners wanted driving included.

4. Bromptonaut

Bromptonaut Rohan Man

Civil Servant for 35 years in what, when I joined in 1978, was the Lord Chancellor's Department. Subsequently the Department for Constitutional Affairs and then the Ministry of Justice. Made redundant in 2013 when the quango I was posted to went on Mr Cameron's bonfire. A good redundancy deal involving early pension but I was too young to be retired and needed activity plus the money to support our caravan habit.

Started volunteering at Citizens Advice inspired by former colleagues saying I had an aptitude for that sort of thing. Now mixing that with part time work on various projects delivered by CA for utility companies and community projects - mostly telephone assessment/advice.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    Welsh dragon likes this.
  5. Highlander

Highlander Active Member

Haulage business, and fast food business, onto college HND business admin, administrator in IT department, Highland council, outsourced to Fujitsu became an IT build engineer, IT help desk controller, took them to task, and financed a trip to Saldana in capetown SA and trained to became a self employed commercial diver, diver medic, ship captains medic and inshore skippers ticket for FRC, underwater welder, inspection and cleaner, then onto dive systems engineer. From working in sewers, to hydro dams, North Sea installations, FPSOs, from Ireland to Tunisia and Angola. Now after not being able to work for three years though back injury, finances now being non existent, started up self employed taxi service.
    Six children, and eleven grand children.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice