Tech geek?

Discussion in 'The Tearoom' started by Welsh dragon, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Welsh dragon

Welsh dragon Senior Member Staff Member

I must admit that i like tech things even though i may not understand how everything works.

My latest gadget is a blue tooth foldable keyboard that i can use with my Kindle and Galaxy tab. It is brilliant. It is easy to pair with just about any tablet and folds up to a really small footprint. It takes up no space at all. I hate the flat keyboards that you get on the tablets, and the Kindle one seems to be off centre and i can hardly use it.

It is a 1by One keyboard. does anyone else go for geeky stuff?

2. OP
    OP
    Welsh dragon

A couple of photos of the keyboard. You can see from my glasses that it is quite dinky. Even when unfolded if isn't big.

20171227_124230.jpg 20171227_124216.jpg

3. Bromptonaut

Bromptonaut Rohan Man

I cannot be doing with touch screen keyboards so if I were to make more use of tablet, phone etc something like that would be good. But I'm particular even then, really like the numeric keypad as I got used to having it at work.

Welsh dragon likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Welsh dragon

I must admit i like numeric keypads as well, but now i'm not at work i don't use it anymore.

Bromptonaut likes this.
  5. Bromptonaut

Bromptonaut Rohan Man

Working in a numeric environment it's indispensable in the office even for a southpaw who trained himself to use numeric pad and mouse with right hand. At home though it's still useful for numeric passkeys and internet shopping/banking.

Welsh dragon likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Welsh dragon

Same here. Southpaw, but right handed for mousepad.

7. Bromptonaut

Bromptonaut Rohan Man

When I first got a computer I used the mouse left handed with reversed buttons, which of course caused a problem sharing a PC with the right handed OH. Set up workstations in office for LH use too until I was allocated a desk where mouse lead was too short. Took all of a couple of hours to adapt.

God knows how a left hander who can't adapt copes with hot desking.

I was allowed to be left handed at school in sixties (as was my Mother in the thirties) but one of the feeder Primaries for the Grammer school I entered at 11 still forced kids to use their right hands until well after 1970.

Welsh dragon likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    Welsh dragon

The teachers tried to make my mum who was also a lefty write with her right hand. They tied her left hand behind her back.

My grandmother marched to the school And threatened that if anyone ever did that again, they would have to deal with her. Needless to say, my mother was never bothered again.

classic33 likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    Welsh dragon

I have just bought a new Samsung J5 mobile phone. I decided my Windows phone had to go. The phone (nokia) is crap and the windows store is worse than useless.

What a differance. Great looking phone, better screen. Bigger writing. And google store for the aps. Absolutely brilliant. I love this new phone.

10. OP
    OP
    Welsh dragon

I should also add, that when my new phone arrived i found that i needed a new sim card. My phone was so old that it didn't have the nano sim card that the J5 takes, so my grandson told me that i needed a new nano card from my provider which is EE. Grandson said that instead of having to drive miles to the nearest phone shop i could "chat" online to EE and order a new card. I really didn't want to talk to someone. Said grandson informed me that you don't actually talk, just text. I could do that, so i logged into my account and with ecouragement (laughter) from grandson, i ordered a new sim card. Customer services were very efficient, ordered the new card for me with my existing phone number and informed me it could take up to 5 working days to arrive.

2 days later, my new card arrived, slotted into my phone and it works. Full marks to EE and customers services and of course my grandson who couldn't stop laughing.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    classic33 and Big Andy like this.
  11. OP
    OP
    Welsh dragon

Wow. Apparently a projecf is underway to build a mechanical clock that will run all on its own for 10,000 years. The boss of Amazon is putting 42 million dollars of his own money into the pot so god knows how much it will actually cost. And it will be 500 feet tall. Well worth the money i'd say.^_^

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-43143095

12. classic33

classic33 Well-Known Member

I've three handsets that take the full size(ID-1) cards.
    SIM Card Sizes.png

Welsh dragon likes this.
  13. classic33

classic33 Well-Known Member

How long will it take to wind it up though?

14. OP
    OP
    Welsh dragon

I think it will run on Solar power. ^_^

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice