1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The morning after

Discussion in 'Environment and Science' started by Pale Rider, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Active Member Staff Member

Peak time is approaching for those who drink and drive.

Increasingly that appears to be the morning after, so New Year's Day is the time to be extra careful.

With that in mind, confused.com has come up with a boozeometer which will tell you when you are sober after that New Year's Eve skinful.

I rarely drink these days, but when I did I was responsible enough to arrange matters so that I didn't need to drive the next day.

A copper friend of mine told me drink driving had been brought fairly well under control, but there's been a bit of an increase in the last few years, particularly among younger drivers.

What is your general attitude to drink driving?

2. Welsh dragon

Welsh dragon Well-Known Member Staff Member

I am not a drinker mainly becauce my tolerance level to alcohol is zilch. I am a real marshmallow, so my view is not to have any alcohol at all if you are going to drive, or if you know you are going to have to drive the next day as well.
  3. classic33

classic33 Active Member

You can buy a portable tester, for personal use. Not certain how accurate they are.

Attitude to drink drivers, stick em in the stocks where everyone can see them. The courts don't seem to bother much with them these days. As for the local police!

I've been in pubs, in rural locations where you handed your car keys over when you went in. Landlord decided if you got them back that night. They'd always get you home though. And where a designated driver was given free soft drinks, tea/coffee. The next night, it'd be someone else's turn.

I've been hit twice by drunk drivers, one or two near misses and picked up after they'd hit someone/something or turned the car over. Never nice, and it'd have been so easy just to walk away.
  4. Bromptonaut

Bromptonaut Rohan Man

I drink far more than is good for me but, excepting festive season and other odd occasions, never during the day. Avoid spirits and increasingly wine but was not always so.

Am now very much aware of the morning after issue but must have been over limit some days driving to station at 05:30 in years when I commuted to London.
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    Jezza likes this.
  5. classic33

classic33 Active Member

Should the punishment be made harsher if caught?
  6. Bromptonaut

Bromptonaut Rohan Man

Current ban/points is probably about right. It's risk of being caught rather than penalty that influences behaviour.

As last hangman Albert Pierrepoint was won't to observe everybody who 'passed through his hands' knew what the penalty for murder was.
  7. classic33

classic33 Active Member

Points. There's an easy way round them, plead hardship if you were to stopped from driving. Two local taxi drivers have over 30 points(one had 51), council maximum is nine. Twelve and you're supposed to lose it.

Means both have been caught more than once. Hasn't stopped them.
  8. Bromptonaut

Bromptonaut Rohan Man

Very hard to plead that one for drink offences. It is though apparently effective mitigation for speeding and careless driving raps.