The UK has to go on a diet...

Discussion in 'UK and World News' started by Welsh dragon, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Welsh dragon

Welsh dragon Senior Member Staff Member

Apparently we are eating too much, and outlets are going to be told to reduce the calories in some (most) products.

Most nutritionists say women should have 2000 calories and men 2500 max per day? Yet now the powers that be are saying we should have 400 calories for breakfast and 600 at your lunch and dinner making a grand total of 1600 per day. Will that do any good? Or will people just buy double portions? And will the cost be lowered or will we be charged the same amount for less?

Is this the nanny state in action again?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-43201586

2. Big Andy

Big Andy Senior Member Staff Member

Cutting portion sizes isn't the answer, if you finish a meal hungry you just end up eating something else. Larger portion sizes of lower energy density food may be the answer though, you feel full but on less calories. Unfortunately though the stuff that usually is the tastiest is usually the most calorific.

classic33 and Welsh dragon like this.
  3. classic33

classic33 Well-Known Member

There's times when I'll have had my daily allowance, or more, for breakfast.

Working lifestyle has changed quicker than the body has been able to adapt. We are not as active as we were twenty years ago, let alone fifty.

If I know beforehand that the portions will be small, I'd be odering two at the same time(some places offer a discount on buying this way). I'd say the price will increase "To cover the cost of resizing the packaging to fit the new portion sizes", not any other reason. It's happened in the past with chocolate bars. Slightly smaller bar requires a different size wrapper and containers. All of which has to be done to keep the image in proportion on the finished product.

Ban vending machines from schools.

Welsh dragon likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Welsh dragon

Welsh dragon Senior Member Staff Member

I suppose we should look at peoples diet during WW2. Peoples diet was excellent then and no one could overindulge. We do eat far too much, too much fat, sugar, and too much processed food and takeaways. I am not convinced though that cutting down portion size or calories will make any differance to people. They will just eat more.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice