Trump and the far right.

Discussion in 'Society, Culture and Politics' started by Sonic Budgie, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Sonic Budgie

Sonic Budgie Active Member

I posted yesterday in the Trump Presidency thread about him retweeting Jayda Fransen's tweets, perhaps that was the wrong thread?
    This has of course now exploded with, as you would expect, shots being fired off in both directions. I say as you would expect, my expectation for any reasonable person would be;
    A) That there was no retweeting in the first place
    B) An apology if you're too stupid to understand A
    However, we are talking about the POTUS here and what is considered reasonable doesn't seem to apply.
    By his actions Trump has given tacit support to a far right nationalist group which surely cannot be ignored, his attitude and actions towards minority groups is already disgraceful, now surely he has revealed what we already knew that he is an out and out racist and he should be removed from office?

2. OP
    OP
    Sonic Budgie

In case this story has passed you by, here's the BBC link

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-42181073

3. Jezza

Jezza Regular Member

Jayda Fransen's odious crew must be doing cartwheels for joy after all the free publicity.

4. OP
    OP
    Sonic Budgie

Britain First have for a number of years trolled Facebook and Twitter by posting seemingly innocuous content concerning supporting the troops, wearing the poppy etc with the intention of it being shared and spread by as many people as possible who then unwittingly appear to be supporting a far right group and of course, it's all publicity for them.
    The content that Trump has shared is by no means innocuous, Trump doesn't even have the excuse of being suckered in. Britain First will still be pinching themselves that they have hooked Trump. Trump should be brought to task.

5. Jezza

Jezza Regular Member

+1
    Britain First along with some other fringe extreme-right groups pop up now and again on some Conservative sites I visit. They'll put up some innocuous seeming meme usually 'patriotism' related to entice people in.
    This week I saw one from the flippin' Knights Templars International all union jacks and Mrs Queen.
    The KTI FFS !
    Armed militias anyone?
    :sad:

6. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Well-Known Member Staff Member

I think it's relevant that Trump rhymes with chump.

gravity aided and Big Andy like this.
  7. Jezza

Jezza Regular Member

Too easy innit?
    IMO the office of US President is bigger than whoever occupies it.
    A majority of those who voted , voted for Mr Trump.
    Trump's also Commander in Chief and the vast majority of Americans revere their armed forces.
    Caricatures are a tad facile.

8. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Well-Known Member Staff Member

Very true, although I do think Trump has the element of clown about him, certainly some of his tweets.

To be fair, he has an honesty that many politicians lack.

It was abvious pre-election he was a loose cannon, and so he has proved to be.

You cannot accuse him of saying one thing to get elected, and then saying another when in office.

Jezza likes this.
  9. robjh

robjh Member

Small correction : a majority of those who voted, voted for Mrs Clinton. (approx. 65 million to 62 million)
    For reasons going a long way back in US history, the final vote is then made by the electoral college, which may as in 2016 award the presidency to the runner-up.

gravity aided and Sonic Budgie like this.
  10. Jezza

Jezza Regular Member

Fair point.
    :smile:
    Mrs Clinton 'won' then?

11. Big Andy

Big Andy Senior Member Staff Member

Trump certainly won by the rules of the particular game they were playing.
    America clearly lost, although with the choices they had whoever won would probably have meant America lost.

Jezza likes this.
  12. OP
    OP
    Sonic Budgie

Donald Trump has retweeted a far right groups messages, he has called Mexicans "drug dealers, criminals and rapists" he has called for “a total and complete shutdown of Muslims” entering the USA and has tried and tried to enact that, he has refused to condem the actions of the far right in Charlottesville. Yet this thread about Trump and the message he is sending to the racists and facists seems more concerned with commending his honesty and acknowledging that he won.

IIP likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice