1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What would you do, if you won £10 million ?

Discussion in 'The Tearoom' started by pubrunner, Dec 15, 2017.

1. pubrunner

pubrunner Regular Member Staff Member

You've won £10 million on the lottery, what would you do with the money ?

Would you put it away somewhere and live off the interest ?

Or perhaps, invest in bitcoins or some other 'solid' investment :whistle: ?

Or might you pay to get your teeth fixed, a hair transplant and a bit of plastic surgery ?

Would you gleefully tell all your friends and take them on holiday :hello: ?

Or would you do a Viv Nicholson ?
  2. Baron Vlad Harkonenn

Baron Vlad Harkonenn Regular Member

I'd ask for a meeting with the cheif quack at my local hospital and ask, "Right then, what machine are you most in need of?"

Thing is, £10m might not be enough.
    Welsh dragon likes this.
  3. Welsh dragon

Welsh dragon Well-Known Member Staff Member

I would be more selfish i am afraid. I would of course give some to my son and daughter. Some to a charity like cancer research or gene therapy which seems to be achieving wonderful things now, and with the rest i would leave the UK for somewhere warmer.
    classic33 and IIP like this.
  4. IIP

IIP Guest

I would give my family money, make sure my children and grandchildren were set up for the future, buy some property for some of my family to live rent free, buy a home here and abroad somewhere in Spain and live a good life.
    if possible although I might need a tad more than £10 million, I once watched a tv programme where someone had bought containers and turned them into self contained living accommodation, showers, toilets, bed, TV, cooking ...my plan would be to try and set this up with maybe 10 units and house homeless men and women for a period that would allow them to get back on their feet and allow the local city council time to find appropriate accommodation, or something like that, its an idea.
    Sonic Budgie likes this.
  5. classic33

classic33 Active Member

I'd want it cash. Take it into the bank and say I'd like to speak to the manager.
    Ovious question would be, "What about?". Answer, "I want to open a bank account". The I/we can do that for you would be brushed aside, manager only. Opening the bag, and showing just what I'd be using as a deposit when they arrive.
  6. OP

Cash ? I wonder how much £10m (even in £50 notes) would weigh ?

Edit - I've just found that £1m in £50 notes would weigh 24.20 kg, so you'd never be able to nonchalantly saunter in, with 242 kg of notes . . . . . . . I'd like to see you try !
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
  7. classic33

classic33 Active Member

The amount of £1,000,000 would have in £20 Notes:
    A weight of 54.50 kg.
    A single stack with 50,000 new banknotes would be 21' 9 13/16" (6.65 m) high
    A volume of at least 79.27 litres.

The amount of £1,000,000 would have in £50 Notes:
    A weight of 24.20 kg.
    A single stack of 20,000 new banknotes would be 8' 8 3/4" (2.66 m) high
    A volume of at least 35.27 litres.
  8. Baron Vlad Harkonenn

Baron Vlad Harkonenn Regular Member

You could always use a wheel barrow.

Rumour has it that that is what people in Venezuala have to do when they pop to the shops to queue up for a loaf of bread.
    classic33 likes this.
  9. classic33

classic33 Active Member

Something along these lines
    One of these.jpeg
    Baron Vlad Harkonenn likes this.
  10. Sonic Budgie

Sonic Budgie Active Member

I saw a piece on something or other about this fella
    And thought it was a wonderful idea, the homeless are involved in the project too so are learning skills which will hopefully help them a little further down the line, terrific :smile:
  11. IIP

IIP Guest

I think it was these ones,....... https://www.curbed.com/2017/4/27/15443264/shipping-containers-homes-design-ideas-homeless .......
    it just sometime I would like to do.
  12. Big Andy

Big Andy Well-Known Member Staff Member

Would put some away in investments some invested for my daighter too. A house in the country, not too big though.
    Some donations to armed forces charities and air ambulances too.
    Would probably keep working though as I love my job.
    Welsh dragon likes this.
  13. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Active Member Staff Member

I know a few people who are comfortably retired on platinum plated police and other public body pensions.

Nearly all do some form of part time work, because having nothing to do at 55 or so years of age does their heads in.

So were I to win £10m, I would have to do some form of work, at least for a few years.

I quite fancy opening a bike shop, on the basis I could afford to have a manager and sufficient staff to enable me to work a few hours most days, and no hours on some days.
    Jezza, classic33 and Welsh dragon like this.
  14. classic33

classic33 Active Member

It'd be two trips with the rucsack then!
    pubrunner likes this.
  15. OP

For that kind of money, I'd manage - not nonchalantly though.
    classic33 likes this.