Will a minimum price of alcohol make any difference?

Discussion in 'UK and World News' started by PD, Nov 16, 2017.

1. PD

PD Retired

It is intended to alter the culture of Booze in Scotland. Do you think it will without any sort of accompanying "awareness campaign" aimed not only at boozing adults but at schoolkids as well?

2. Nazz

Nazz Member

Some random thoughts.

It will impact the poorest the hardest, the affluent will barely notice.

Those with an alcohol problem will find the money from somewhere, which may impact family finances.

Will there be a market for home distilled alcohol , unregulated and a potential health hazard?

3. Welsh dragon

Welsh dragon Senior Member Staff Member

As Nazz says, ordinary people and the poor who like a drink without going overboard will be the ones who suffer. People with money won't be bothered by any increase, and those with a serious problem will always find the money from somewhere even if they have to comit a crime to get it.

4. classic33

classic33 Well-Known Member

No, as a walk through most town/city centres in the early hours will prove. They want it, they'll get it. Walking past the drunks on the street is someting that can't be avoided in places.

And it's not just those with a drink problem that I've passed drunk. They want to have "a good time", they'll have " good time". Whatever the cost.

5. classic33

If you remember the movie "Bless this house" where they tried doing just that, and ended up with a very good varnish remover, I've a gallon of homebrew with similar properties(made in 1985). The last time one was moved it exploded.

Nazz likes this.
  6. Baron Vlad Harkonenn

Baron Vlad Harkonenn Regular Member

If I were a skint youth who likes a tipple, I'd get into homebrewing. :okay:

7. classic33

Try getting Citric Acid.

Baron Vlad Harkonenn likes this.
  8. Baron Vlad Harkonenn

I'd not make poncy wine, I'd make gallons and gallons of beer where no citric acid is required.

Welsh dragon likes this.
  9. Baron Vlad Harkonenn

Bad luck if you are a girl though, a beer belly is not a good look on a female.

10. Welsh dragon

Welsh dragon Senior Member Staff Member

I think that might depend on which part of the UK you are in. :okay:

11. Joey Shabadoo

Joey Shabadoo Regular Member

A kneejerk reaction to the sight of teenagers getting off their faces on cheap cider and Buckfast - a "something must be done" response. Scotland's problem is alcoholism and I've never seen an alcoholic quibble over the price of his/her booze.

classic33 and Nazz like this.
  12. Sonic Budgie

Sonic Budgie Active Member

I wasn't aware that it was considered a good look on a bloke either.

13. stephec

stephec Member

It's not really a good look on a bloke either.

14. Baron Vlad Harkonenn

True.

15. Jezza

Jezza Regular Member

Minimum price for alcohol will just enable racketeers.
    Buckie off the back of a lorry and bathtub booze.
    The only loser will be HMRC.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice